Monday, July 1, 2013

Botswana Bulletin #56






Botswana Bulletin #56

"Hot Wheels, Meetings and Movings"

July 1, 2013

Prayer Requests

1)  Praise for my safe arrival back in Botswana.  Pray that I would be able to seamlessly fit back into life in Botswana as I work with Flying Mission and the local church.

2)  Praise that I was able to find a suitable new car.  Pray that it continues to run well.

3)  Pray for Joshua as he continues to volunteer at Flying Mission.  Pray that he would grow spiritually and that his knowledge of IT would grow as well.

4)  Please continue to pray for Flying Mission as our AGM (Annual General Meeting) clearly showed that there is still disunity within the mission.  Pray for our meeting on August 24th that God would show us the way forward.

5)  Please be in prayer for our Rerotlhe orphan care program.  Pray that funding would continue to be available so the children can be properly looked after.  Praise that I was able to go out for a visit and brighten the children’s day with some presents.

6)  Pray for Flying Mission as we settle into our new smaller office space.  Pray that we would be a secure place and that it would suit the needs of our ministry.

Introduction

Greetings everyone from sunny Gaborone, Botswana!  Well, I say it’s sunny but the evening have been getting quite chilly.  June and July are the coldest months in Botswana and most nights the temperature has been dropping down to around +5C.  Some may think that isn’t that cold but when you don’t have central heating it can be uncomfortable for many.  Especially those used to +30C temperatures! 

I should apologize for my lack of correspondence recently.  I’ve been getting settled back into life here in Botswana and things have been hectic at Flying Mission so it hasn’t left much time for me to write.  However, since today is a national holiday (Sir Seretse Khama Day in Botswana and Canada Day in Canada) I thought I’d spend my holiday updating you all.  How wonderfully sacrificial of me, eh?  J  Honestly, it’s not a problem.  It’s the least I can do for you guys.  So, let’s get straight into it shall we.

Trip Back To Botswana

I was taking a bit of a slow route back to Botswana this time around.  I left Edmonton on April 30th and travelled to Toronto where I visited the SIM Canada head office for a few days.  I was able to get reacquainted with some of the staff that I hadn’t seen in a while which was great.  I especially enjoyed seeing a surprise visitor who was helping put in some new servers.  For those of you who have been reading my letters for a number of years you’ll remember that I was planning to move to the USA to work at the SIM International office in South Carolina.  Before leaving for the USA I had arranged to stay with a fellow SIM co-worker who works for the IT department there.  His name is Joseph Kejr and because I was rejected at the border I was never able to meet him until a few years later when I attended a mission IT conference in Indianapolis, Indiana.  So I was of course surprised to see that he was now at the SIM Canada office just as I was passing through.  Joseph and I get along well and it was awesome to be able to catch with each other while I was there.  It made the trip extra special.

So, after a few days in Toronto it was off to London.  I had a long layover in London (about 12 hours) so as usual I decided to wander into the city to see some sights.  A friend of mine recommended that I go on a bus tour of London so I could do some extra sightseeing that I hadn’t done in the past.  I was glad I took her advice because the bus tour I booked ended up being fantastic.  I got to see parts of London I’ve never had a chance to see and was able to learn more about the heritage of the great city.  I’ll post some of my pictures below so you can see where I was.

After spending half a day in London it was sadly time to go so I took the Tube back to Heathrow and I was off to Johannesburg, South Africa.  As usual by the time I arrived in Johannesburg I was almost falling over in my seat because I was so tired.  To try and wake myself up I thought I’d go get myself something to eat.  I realized just how tired I was because as I was standing in the queue to get food I realized that I had left my bag on the seat at the gate with my laptop and plane tickets in them!  Knowing that Johannesburg isn’t necessarily the safest place to leave valuables unattended I hurried back to where I had left my bag.  As expected it was gone.  My heart sunk.  What should I do now?  As I began to search around the seat where I left my bag an airport gate worker noticed me and asked me if I was looking for my bag.  I told her I was and she said she had noticed it and had left it behind the gate counter because she didn’t want it to get stolen!  J  Needless to say I was now in love with this woman and she told me that I should thank her with a gift instead of words.  I’m not sure if she was joking or not but I went and bought her a chocolate bar to thank her for keeping my bag safe.  I spoke a little Setswana with her which made her laugh and she wished me a safe journey back to Botswana.  It’s good to have stories like that to tell about a place that seems to have a bad reputation for unkind people. 

Trafalgar Square

Elizabeth Tower

River Thames


New Car

After arriving safely in Botswana I was thrilled to see that both my bags had arrived with me and that a few people from Flying Mission were there to greet me.  Once I settled back into my home it was time to start searching for a new car.  I had a silver Nissan March but was finding it to be a very limited vehicle.  It was small and with all the potholes and bumps on the road here in Africa it’s nice to have a vehicle that is a little more…substantial.  I sold the March back in February and because I was able to have a few roommates during the year I was able to save up some money for a new ride.  At first I was thinking I would buy a Toyota Rav4 but when I looked around I was pointed towards a very nice Subaru Forrester.  I had never owned a Subaru so I wasn’t really sure if it would be a good car or not.  After asking a few of my friends that owned Subaru’s it seemed like a good choice so I went ahead and got the car.  So far I’m happy to say that the car has been fantastic.  It’s great to have some extra room in the car to car my things as well as extra people.  It’s been a blessing to me and I’m thankful to God for providing the means for me to able to own it.  I’ll post a picture below so you can see what it looks like.  Oh, and of course I have come up with a great name for the car…the Botsmobile!  :-)


My 2001 Subaru Forrester (The Botsmobile)


Joshua the IT Intern
When I started back at work with Flying Mission I found out that we had a new intern in the IT department.  His name is Joshua Tlangae and he comes from Francistown, Botswana.  Since Flying Mission is currently struggling financially we were unable to pay him.  However, Josh was able to get funding from a government internship program so he is able to continue to pay his bills while he volunteers for us.  The internship program is for two years so I hope we are able to give Josh some good experience that he can use to get a good job after his internship.  He is a fantastic person and we have gotten along really well.  Josh loves hard rock like I do so we enjoy listening to music together when Richard isn’t in the office (he doesn’t share the same taste in music) or when we are in the car together.  Josh is also a relatively new Christian so I’m trying to mentor him as much as I can as well while we work together.  Please pray for Josh that he would grow spiritually as well as in his IT knowledge while he is with Flying Mission.


Joshua enjoying his lunch


Annual General Meeting

Last month Flying Mission had its Annual General Meeting (AGM).  At last years AGM all of our board members stepped down and we formed a new larger board with the hopes that they would be able to help Flying Mission get back on track as 2012 was quite a tumultuous year organizationally.   Well, as it would turn out there is still a lot of disagreement within the mission.  A few Flying Mission members have actually proposed a vote of no confidence in the current board at the meeting.  There was a lot of discussion regarding this and eventually the decision was to postpone voting to a future meeting in August.  It was very discouraging to see that there are still a lot of issues to be resolved with the FM family and I ask that you continue to pray for unity within the mission.  The next FM meeting is scheduled for August 24th.  Pray that God would give us all insight into how to move forward as a mission.

Rerotlhe

At the end of June I was able to go visit our recently re-opened orphan day care centre “Rerotlhe” (when translated means something like “All of us”).  Rerotlhe was struggling financially but some extra donations were received which has allowed the program to continue.  Praise the Lord!  A very nice family from one of my supporting churches donated about 30 Hot Wheels cars for me to give to the orphans.  I was finally able to deliver them into the hands of the kids.  Boy were they excited!  We also purchase some new underwear to give to the children as well as some fresh oranges.  They all looked very happy by the end of the day.  I’ll post some pictures below so you can see some of the kids.  Please be in prayer that the centre would continue to have enough funds to operate so that the children would receive the love and care that they deserve.

The Day Care with it's new paint job

The classroom

The play room

A fellow Flying Mission co-worker with the kids

The teacher giving instructions to the kids

Time for games!

Time for presents!

The happy kids with their gifts


Office Move

After my visit to Rerotlhe it was time to get to work moving the Flying Mission office.  For about 8 or 9 years the Flying Mission office has been located on the second floor of the Kia Motors car dealership.  Our lease ran out a while back and we have been looking for viable office space ever since.  With funds low and options limited the Flying Mission leadership decided to move into one of our existing houses.  It’s a downgrade size wise but will save us from having to pay rent each month.  It took a lot of work to get the house ready.  It’s quite an old house and hadn’t received a lot of upkeep.  We’ve done some interior painting to spruce up the place a bit and there are plans to upgrade the security now that we have a number of computers living there.  We officially moved in on Wednesday last week and it’s starting to look like a real office now.  The major problem we still have is the phone lines.  BTC (Botswana Telecommunications Company) has struggled to get the lines switched on time.  My hope if that things will come together next week and we’ll have a fully operational office.  That’s the hope anyway.  Please be in prayer that this would happen and that we would settle in well to our new environment.


Running cables in the roof is a dangerous job!

Installing network and phone cables

Cables continued

Putting the finishing touches on the cables


Closing

In closing I want to continue to thank all of you for your prayers and for your financial contributions to myself and to the ministries of Flying Mission.  God bless you all and Happy Canada Day!

Peace and prayers,

Graham Crawford <><

For more info on SIM Canada visit:  www.sim.ca
For more info on Flying Mission visit:  www.flyingmission.org

The opinions expressed in this letter are my own opinions.  They are not necessarily the opinions or views of my employers, SIM or Flying Mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment