Saturday, January 17, 2015

Botswana Bulletin #64






Botswana Bulletin #64

"Things Are Done Differently Here"

January 17, 2015

Prayer Requests

1)  Rain – The Gaborone Dam which holds the city’s water supply is only 5% full.  Please pray that we receive enough rain to fill the dam to sustain the water supply for the city during the dry season.

2)  Flying Mission Finances – Flying Mission is currently struggling financially.  Nobody really knows what this will mean in the future but our leadership team is working on ways to allow us to continue to do the ministry we feel God has called us to do here in Botswana.  Please prayer for our leadership that God would reveal to them the way forward with the resources that are available to us.

3)  Ministry Endurance – Praise the Lord with me that He has been a faithful God during the last 10 years that I’ve been a missionary.  I am so thankful to my support team for praying for me and blessing me financially.  I know I would not be where I am without you.  May God continue to give us all great faith to trust Him to provide what we need as we serve Him together.

4)  Trip to Canada – I’ll be travelling back to Canada in March and will be around for 2 months.  Please pray that it would be both a restful time as well as a meaningful time as I visit with my friends, family and supporters.

Introduction

Greetings to all of you from a very warm and sunny Gaborone, Botswana!  I’d like to start by thanking those of you that have been praying for rain.  We have started to have a few showers here and there but we can definitely do with more.  According to the last update I heard the Gaborone Dam was only 5% full.  I believe God is a faithful God and that he can fill the dam if we would only ask Him.  Please stand with me in prayer God would be glorified through the miracle of rain in the desert.

By Faith

There is much to be concerned about in our world today.  Just turn on the television and watch some news for an hour and you’ll have plenty to be afraid of.  However, as Christians I don’t believe God has called us to live in that way.  He calls us to be fearless, faith-filled people.  When I looked at my own life and my own situation I realize there are times when I am simply faith-less.  The situation looks too grim.  Too bleak.  How could anything good come out of it?  Right now Flying Mission is struggling financially.  Our leaders are meeting and trying to figure ways to continue doing what we are doing with limited resources.  It’s hard.  There are no guarantees as to how things will turn out.  However, I choose to have faith that God will show us a way.  That way may not be the way we imagined and in my opinion that is a good thing.  Ephesians 3:20 says, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.”  If God’s power is at work within us, more than we can even imagine is possible.  So I’m excited to see how God works during this difficult time.  Will it be hard?  Yes.  But with God all things are possible and I am excited to what possibilities He shows us in the future.  Please stand with my in prayer that God would provide the means for Flying Mission to continue to minister to the people here in Botswana.  That even if this means changing something that we would be humble and realize that He is in control and that it is ultimately his mission and not ours.  I thank you in advance for your prayers for the Flying Mission leadership and for the hard decisions they will have to make.

Leap Of Faith

As I was thinking about the theme of this letter I came to a decision that I would call it “By Faith”.  In September 2014 I celebrated my 10 year anniversary as a missionary in Botswana.  I have to admit it’s hard for me to believe that I’ve been able to do this for 10 years.  When I think of the time I’ve been away from Canada, from my friends and family.  When I think of the finances that were needed during these last 10 years, I am simply amazed at how God has provided for me.  When I think about how it all started, really it all started with a leap of faith.  I had no idea what was going to happen.  Would I fail?  Would it be too hard?  Would the costs emotionally, physically, spiritually be too much?  Yet through it all God has provided as I’ve leaned on Him.  There is absolutely no way I could have done this in my own power.  I needed help from God and from His people.  And the amazing thing to me is there have been times when I have doubted that.  When I thought it may all be over.  Yet, each time I have found myself despairing, God has been faithful.  And you know how I end of feeling?  Foolish.  I feel foolish for doubting that God would call me to a work and a place and wouldn’t provide my needs.  The cool thing about it is He used people.  I am so blessed to have the support network that I do.  Without the backing of the churches and individuals that have partnered with me, prayed for and encouraged me, and gave of their finances, I would not be here.  It all started with a leap of faith and I believe that is how it’s going to continue.  One little leap of faith at a time.

See You Soon!

For those who are missing seeing me in person, fear not!  I will be seeing you soon!  The plan is to depart Botswana on March 3rd and fly via Dubai to Toronto.  I’ll be in the Toronto area for 3 nights at the SIM Canada office then I’ll be heading to Edmonton on March 7th.  The plan is to stay in Canada for 2 months before heading back to Botswana for another year.  My plan is to travel to my various supporting churches while I’m in Canada so I hope to see many of you during that time.  I’ll send out a more detailed travel schedule once things are planned so you’ll know when I’ll be in your area.  Looking forward to seeing many of you soon!

Things Are Different Here

The longer I live in Botswana the more I realize how unique of a place it is.  When things happen around me here I can’t help but say to myself, “I don’t think that ever would have happened back in Canada.”  It makes for an interesting life living here and experiencing things other people may never have the privilege of experiencing.  Let me give you some examples.

LALALALALA!

For the people reading this that have never travelled to Africa you may have never had the privilege of hearing a “ululation”.  This is something that is done in other cultures, even the Native community back in Canada, but there is something kind of special about the way it is done here in Africa.  A ululation is basically when someone shouts out a high pitched “LALALALALA”.  It usually requires a rapid back and forth movement with your tongue.  It is something that is often used as a cheer of celebration in weddings and in churches.  Actually, this happened very recently in the church I attend here in Gaborone, Open Baptist Church.  At the beginning of each service we usually have a time of worship where we sing songs of praise to the Lord.  After a particularly jovial session of worship our pastor got up to speak afterward and simply said, “That is a tough act to follow.  I’m not sure where I should start from.”   Almost on cue one of the ladies in our church started ululating, “LALALALALA!”  It was perfect.  In my mind I thought, “Yep.  That is a good place to start.”  However, when I thought about it later I wondered, “Who would do something like that in any of the churches I attend back in Canada?”  I had to simply conclude that things are done differently here.

Is There A Pig Nearby?

Not all sounds that people make here in Botswana are pleasant to the ears.  I love hearing a ululation but there is one sound that I hear quite often here that is like finger nails on a chalk board.  To be honest I’m not even exactly sure why people do it.  I had one friend tell me that he did it to “scratch the inside of his head”.  This didn’t make any sense to me but to him it seemed to be something he needed to do.  Anyway, if you come to Botswana I’m sure you will hear it.  Basically the sound the person makes sounds exactly like a pig.  It’s a grunting sound that sounds similar to the sound you’d make if you were trying to drain the contents of your nose into the back of your throat.  Hopefully that makes sense.  However, it’s not a long big sound like one may make if they had a cold, its short little grunts, like the sound a pig would make.  For some reason this sound drives me nuts.  I guess because it seems so unnecessary.  Like, I have no idea why anyone needs to do it.  Yet, people do it here all the time.  I’ve simply had to conclude that things are done a little differently here.

Oai!

My favourite words in Setswana are the expressive words.  Basically the words that are said that are more a feeling than a word.  In English this may be a word like, “Wow!” or “Zowie!”  Something like that.  Of course Setswana has words like that but they are of course very different.  One of my favourites is the word “Oai!” (pronounced OH-WAH-EE).  If I had to translate what was being said when you say oai its basically “I don’t believe it!”  The most recent use of this word was when I was at a braai and a friend of mine realized that we had run out of boervoers (south African style sausage) before he was able to get any.  When he realized that the sausage was gone and that he wouldn’t be getting any all that he could say was “Oai!”  In my opinion it is a beautiful word that totally sums up how you feel in the moment.  In English I imagine someone would of simply said, “Seriously?!” yet in my opinion it doesn’t capture the emotion as much as Oai.  I guess things are just done differently here.

Awkward Communion

Anyone who has ever attended a wedding here in Botswana will notice immediately that it’s done a little differently here that in the West.  I’ve been to a number of weddings here but recently I attended one where the couple performed communion together during the service.  This is something I am only used to seeing in Catholic weddings back home.  I’ve always thought that it was a really nice thing to add to the ceremony.  That is, until I saw how it was done here.  When it came to the part where they were to eat the bread and drink the cup the pastor asked them to do it in I guess a kind of “romantic” way.  They were asked to feed the elements to each other.  Suffice to say it was probably the most awkward communion I’d ever seen.  I don’t know if it was nerves or the fact that everyone laughed at them when they did it but as they fed each other the elements you just couldn’t help but laugh at them.  I guess things are just done a little differently here.

Conclusion

On that note I’d like to close off this letter.  I hope you enjoyed it.  I’d also like to wish all of you a Happy New Year!  I pray that 2015 would be a great year of blessing for you and your family.  Thanks again to all of you who continue to support me in my ministry here in Botswana.  You guys rock!  Oh, and after you’ve read this update feel free to scroll down and read the latest news from the Flying Mission E-memo.  Cheers!

Peace and prayers,

Graham Crawford <><
                       
Online donations can be made at:  www.sim.ca
(My missionary number is 24460)
Please visit my blog site at:  botsbulletin.blogspot.com
For more info on Flying Mission visit:  www.flyingmission.org


The opinions expressed in this letter are my own opinions.  They are not necessarily the opinions or views of my employers, SIM or Flying Mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment