Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Benin Bulletin #6











Benin Bulletin #6

“Joyeux Noël!”

January 10, 2017

Prayer Requests

1)  Christmas holidays – Praise the Lord that we were able to visit Graham’s family in Alberta during the Christmas break.  Kathleen’s parents were also able to visit for a week which was great.  It was their first time in Alberta. 

2)  French School – School begins tomorrow.  Please pray that we would do well in increasing our knowledge of the French language.

3)  Re Rotlhe – Praise the Lord that He has continued to provide for the Re Rotlhe program in Botswana and they almost have their new facility built.  Pray that the facility will be finished soon and that the program will continue to thrive.

Introduction

Greetings everyone from beautiful Sherbrooke, Québec!  It’s your old buddy Graham here.  Back again to tell you about all the adventures Kathleen and I have been on.  We are back from our latest adventure:  Christmas vacation!  If I remember correctly, it was October when we last sent out a letter so it’s about time I filled you in on what all has been happening.  So, grab a coffee (or whatever you prefer) and I’ll dive right into the news.

Christmas Holidays

As I mentioned in our last letter Kathleen and I were able to visit my family in Alberta this year.  Our school gave us an extremely generous 3 weeks of Christmas holidays so we used it as usefully as we could.  As usual we ended up missing a few of you in the area but it was hard with people being away and family gatherings considering it was Christmas.  So, apologies to anyone who felt ignored, it was not intentional.  Despite missing some of you, we had a great time in Alberta.  I had the first Christmas in Alberta since 2012 so it felt like a new experience for the both myself and for Kathleen.  Kathleen’s parents came to Alberta for a week for New Year’s so it was special having most of the Crawford/Davidson family together again.  We hadn’t had that since the wedding in May.  I got to a few hockey games to see the new arena in Edmonton which was fantastic.  We even made it to the Rocky Mountains in Jasper.  A first for both Kathleen as well as her parents.  Thank you for your prayers for our travel.  No lost luggage this time around.  A few minor delays but all went very smoothly.  Praise the Lord!


The Legislative Assembly building in downtown Edmonton.

First Oilers game in Edmonton's new arena.

The Oilers won of course.
Athabasca Falls in Jasper National Park.

Back To School

I should probably mention how we did in our first semester.  Is amazing to strong a word?  Seriously though, both Kathleen and I did very well.  I won’t tell you exact grades but if we were as old as our grades we’d likely both be dead.  Actually, never mind, that’s a bit morbid.  Just believe me when I say we did well.  So, as I mentioned earlier we are officially now back in “The Nation of Québec”.  I have to admit I feel a little bit rusty in my French.  We spent most of our time with “Anglophones” on our holiday so my lack of “parlaying the francais” has not gone unnoticed.  However, my instructor tells me that the first few weeks is all review so we hope to get caught up quickly.  Actually, I’m kinda speaking for myself here.  Kathleen appears to have not missed a beat.  Anyway, its great to be back in Québec and we are both looking forward to getting back to studying the beautiful language of “Français”.  We would appreciate your prayers as we continue with our studies.  We will be studying until March where we will be heading to New Brunswick once again for a week break.  In the meantime, we’ll have our noses in the books!  Thank you for upholding us in prayer.  We appreciate it so much! 

Our commute to French class.  Its a blessing living this close.  

Re Rotlhe Update

Shifting gears a little I’d like to give an update to all those who remember the Re Rotlhe project I did a fundraiser for back in 2015.  For those of you reading this who may not know what the Re Rotlhe Project is, let me give you a little insight.  The Re Rotlhe project is a day care centre started in Seherelela, Botswana, a small village about 2 hours west of Botswana’s capital city, Gaborone.  Flying Mission (the mission organization Graham used to work with) helped support this project by getting it some funding and helping it grow.  The day care takes care of both orphaned and vulnerable children and does their best to feed/clothe and educate these young kids.  A playground was built on the small day care plot so the children would have a place to play.  Unfortunately, most of the equipment was made of steel and the shade netting that was put up to keep the equipment cool fell down.  This exposed the steel swings and slides to the unforgiving Botswana sun.  Needless to say, the children stopped playing in the playground.  This got me to thinking.  Perhaps a better, stronger shade can be built for these children.  We go an estimate on what a steel roof structure would cost and it was around $3000.  I believe it was in August 2015, we had a fundraiser to raise the money to buy this structure.  We raised a little over $3000!  Praise the Lord!  So, the money was given to Flying Mission and the structure was going to be built, however, new news had arrived.  The day care was given a new plot as well as a large donation to build a permanent, more adequate building.  Praise the Lord again!  However, this meant that the new steel roof for the playground would be delayed until they moved the playground to the new plot and built the new facilities.  Well, I heard from Flying Mission and the new facility is nearing completion.  This means the steel roof structure for the playground should be built sometime this year!  I thought I’d let you all know as some of you gave to this project so I wanted to update you on its current status.  Thank you so much for your generous giving to make this project possible!  I’ll update you again when the building is complete.

Wide shot of building progress on new plot.

Front of classrooms.

Inside the classrooms

Kitchen and office building foundation slab

New clay bread oven

Full view of classroom block

Foundation slab for toilets


Conclusion

Well, I think that about wraps up things at this end.  Thank you again to all of you who make this life possible for Kathleen and I.  You all mean a great deal to us.  Thank you for your prayers and support.  Until next time!

Blessings,

Graham & Kathleen <><

SIM Contact Info:
SIM Canada
10 Huntingdale Blvd.
Scarborough, Ontario
M1W 2S5
Canada
Tel:  1-800-294-6918
E-mail:  info@sim.ca
Online donations can be made at:  www.sim.ca 
(Our missionary number is 024460)


The opinions expressed in this letter are our own opinions.  They are not necessarily the opinions or views of Serving In Mission (SIM).

No comments:

Post a Comment