Saturday, February 1, 2020

The Crawford Chronicles #2






The Crawford Chronicles #2
“The Itinerary”
February 1, 2020

Prayer Requests
1)  Austin’s 1st birthday - Austin celebrated his 1st birthday on November 27th.  We praise the Lord for the progress he has made from his difficult start in the hospital until now.
2)  Christmas Holidays - We thank the Lord that we were able to celebrate Christmas with Kathleen’s family at our home here in New Brunswick.  This may be something we aren’t able to do often in the future so we were thankful we were able to do it this year.
3)  Church Presentations - We are thankful to Geary Baptist Church and French Lake Baptist Church for allowing us to speak at their worship services over the holiday.  We thank you so much for your support and prayers.
4)  Last Day at Skillsoft - My last day at Skillsoft was January 31st.  I’m thankful that I am now able to completely devote myself to support raising and preparing to depart for Senegal.
5)  Church Visits/Western Canada Trip - Please pray for us as we will be visiting 6 churches during the next 6 weeks in 3 provinces.  Pray that we will be able to have meaningful connections with family, friends and supporters during this time.
6)  French Classes - I (Graham) will be enrolling in French classes in March to brush up on my skills.  Pray for me as I haven’t spoken much French since I returned from Benin.
7)  Support Update - We need to raise $3425/month in financial support before we are able to leave.  We currently have $437/month in one-time and monthly donations (13%).  Of this value only 5% is from re-occurring gifts.  Pray that we would be able to raise the necessary funds before our planned departure date of July 2020.  Dakar Academy would like us to arrive before July so if the support comes in this date could be moved up.
8)  House Sale - Pease pray for our house which will be put up for sale on February 10th.  Pray that we are able to sell it for a fair price and that we would be able to set a closing date close to our departure time.

Introduction
Greetings from Oromocto, New Brunswick, Canada!  I have exciting news for you all again…the days are getting longer!  I’ve noticed recently that the sun seems to be staying out a little longer.  I thought that might bring comfort to some of you who are experiencing the “winter blues”.  I keep reminding myself that snow and winter will be something our family will be seeing far less of in the future now that our plans are to be back in Africa.  This may surprise you, but that is a good and bad thing to me.  I think of all the fun I had during winter as a kid and I think of how Austin will miss out on some of that.  My hope is that we will be back enough times during the winter that he will be able to experience the fun you can have in the snow.  Maybe in the end he’ll get the best of both worlds, enjoying whatever season comes his way.  Anyway, I feel I’m starting to wander off course so let me steer us back.  We have some newsy news to share with you so I hope you’ll take the time to read it.  Enjoy!

Austin’s First Birthday
On November 27th we celebrated Austin’s first birthday.  It was hard to believe a year had already passed since his surprise early entrance into the world.  He has come so far since the Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit.  He has so much happiness and energy inside him.  He really does light up a room.  I wonder where he gets that from?  In many ways his first year has mirrored the progression we have made as a family.  After coming back from Benin, full of disappointment, we have come so far during this year.  Kathleen and I have done a lot of healing and we want to give all the glory to God for bringing us to a point where we feel we can return to the mission field.  We thank each and every one of you for the encouragement you have given us along the way.  It has meant so much to us.  We look forward to seeing what God has in store for us in the year ahead!
Austin's 1st Birthday at Montana's

Christmas Vacation
We celebrated Christmas at our home here in Oromocto surrounded by family.  Kathleen’s parents and her brother Dustin were able to stay with us a few nights as we celebrated our saviours’ birth together.  During the holiday, we were able to share a little about our missionary journey with the congregation at Geary Baptist Church (GBC).  GBC has been very supportive of us as a family and we greatly appreciate the efforts they have made to support us as missionaries and as brothers and sisters in Christ.  We don’t know how many Christmas’ we’ll have a chance to celebrate here in New Brunswick in the future, so it was nice to have this time together.
Christmas 2019 - Austin with his new drum set and Leafs jersey

French Lake Baptist Church
On January 5th we were invited to speak at French Lake Baptist Church.  We were given the entire sermon time to share our journey this year and our plans to serve in Senegal at Dakar Academy.  We want to thank the congregation of French Lake Baptist Church for their support and prayers.  Special thanks go to the Mackenzie family for inviting us to their home for lunch after the church service.  We had a great time!

Last Day at Skillsoft
Yesterday (Jan 31st) was officially my last day as an employee of Skillsoft.  It was a bitter/sweet end to my time there.  I only worked there for 13 months, but was able to meet some great people along the way.  I will miss talking with them on a day to day basis.  However, I’m thankful to the Lord for the opportunity to work there and hope I will have time to pop in to say hello in the future. 

Church Visits/Western Canada Trip
Now that I (Graham) am no longer working at Skillsoft, you must think I’ll have nothing but time on my hands, right?  Wrong!  We are going to be very busy during the months leading up to our departure for Senegal.  We will be visiting 6 churches during the next 6 weeks in 3 provinces.  See the list below so you know when we’ll be in your area:
February 2nd - Praise Christian Fellowship (Oromocto, New Brunswick)
February 9th - Oromocto Baptist Church (Oromocto, New Brunswick)
February 16th - Fort Saskatchewan Fellowship Baptist Church (Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta)
February 23rd - Fort Saskatchewan Alliance Church (Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta)
March 1st - Northlife Church (Fort McMurray, Alberta)
March 8th - Parksville Fellowship Baptist Church (Parksville, BC)
Kathleen, Austin and I will be departing for Edmonton on February 12th.  Unfortunately, Kathleen and Austin will be returning to New Brunswick on February 25th.  Kathleen is continuing to work at the Oromocto Allergy Clinic so she can continue to accumulate her nursing hours.  Kathleen needs to work a certain amount of nursing hours each year to keep her nursing license so it’s important that she keeps working.  I will remain behind to travel to Fort McMurray and Parksville.  Please pray for Austin as this will be his very first time in an airplane.  We are hoping he will just sleep through the whole thing, but one never knows.  Pray for Kathleen and I as it will be our first time on a plane with a toddler.  Hopefully people will still like us once we land.

French classes
After traveling out west I’ll be returning to New Brunswick to start French classes.  During my time back in New Brunswick I have spoken very little French and my skills now have a lot of rust on them.  I’m hoping that once I enroll in a class and start speaking again that it will all come back to me.  Kathleen and I are hoping to attend a local church in Dakar and have local friends.  In order for this to happen, my French skills need to be good.  Please pray that I would progress in my French so that I will be able to speak well with the local people once we arrive in Senegal.

Support Update
Some of you may be wondering how our support raising has been going so far.  With both of us working we haven’t had a lot of time to connect with people but we’ve been encouraged by the response so far.  Our support goal is to raise $3425/month.  So far, we have raised $437/month from one-time and monthly gifts which equals about 13% of our needs.  Of that 13% only 5% is from re-occurring gifts so we are praying that number will increase as we move forward.  We would like to thank each and every one of you who support us both financially and prayerfully.  We simply can’t do this without you.  If you would like to join our support team it’s as easy as going to the website https://www.sim.ca/graham-and-kathleen-crawford/ or calling SIM Canada’s head office at 1-800-294-6918.  Our target departure date is July 2020 but Dakar Academy would love it if we were able to arrive before then so this could potentially change to an earlier date.  We will keep you all posted as things progress.

House Sale
Kathleen and I will be putting our house up for sale on February 10th.  Some of you may be wondering why we are putting it up for sale at this time.  Well, there are a number of reasons for that.  We discussed when we should put it up for sale with our real estate agent back before Christmas.  In his opinion, houses usually don’t sell during the holidays so felt it wasn’t necessary to put it up right away.  Historically, the area where we live in is usually home to military families.  For those who don’t know, Oromocto is home to the Canadian Forces Base Gagetown.  Each year something called “posting season” occurs.  This is when military personnel are issued letters informing them of re-assignment.  This often happens in either January/February.  So, the thinking is that now would be the time when military families would be looking for housing here in Oromocto.  Also, since Kathleen, Austin and I are leaving for Alberta on the 12th, we have the opportunity to clean the house, stage it, and have it accessible to anyone who would like to look at it during the 2 weeks we are all in Alberta.  This allows us to not have to be constantly trying to keep the house clean in case someone wants to see the house.  Our prayer is that someone would buy the house during this time.  We are also praying that the person would not want to move in immediately.  Since we are not planning to leave until July at the latest, we are hoping for a later closing date.  Our real estate agent has told us that most military families don’t move until the summer anyway, so this is a likely scenario.  Please be in prayer with us that the house would sell, at a fair price, and that we would get a closing date close to this summer. 

Conclusion
Well, I think that is all the news I have for you all at the moment.  We’ll try and keep you all as updated as much as we can during the next 4-6 months.  Thanks again to all of you who support us through your prayers and your finances.  We are blessed beyond belief to have you all in our lives.  We hope we will have an opportunity to see/speak with you all before we depart for Senegal.  Until next time!
Blessings,

Graham & Kathleen Crawford (and Austin)
Online donations can be made at https://www.sim.ca/graham-and-kathleen-crawford/
The opinions expressed in this letter are our own opinions.  They are not necessarily the opinions or views of Serving In Mission (SIM).

No comments:

Post a Comment