Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Botswana Bulletin #44







Botswana Bulletin #44
“A Cape Town Christmas”

January 9, 2011

The Rain Has Arrived!
Greetings from hot and sunny Gaborone, Botswana!  Well, at the moment it’s hot and sunny, but we’ve been blessed with a good supply of rain the last few days which has been excellent.  There are so many benefits the rain brings to the desert here it’s hard to complain when it comes.  I found myself holding back my complaints yesterday while I was trying to dry my clothes out on the clothesline.  There is a real shortage of dryers in this country simply because it’s usually so easy to dry your clothes outside.  Now that the rains have come it’s been harder to do this.  However, I bit my tongue and thanked the Lord for the provision of rain despite my clothes being slightly damp.  I know how badly this country needs it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Well before I go too far I should take time to wish all of you a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I was hoping to send out a prayer letter before Christmas but I was busy finishing off my research project for school.  I was then hoping to send one off from Cape Town but I didn’t have any internet access where I was staying so it had to wait until the new year.  I hope you all have had a restful holiday with friends and family and I wish you all a prosperous 2011!

New Format For Prayer Letter
I’m going to try something a little different in this prayer letter which hopefully will be beneficial to some of you.  I realize that my prayer letters can be quite lengthy at times and some of you have suggested I cut them short.  However, I also have quite a number of you who have said that they quite enjoy my long stories and to keep sending more.  So, in an effort to please both parties I’ve decided to create bold headings for each portion of my prayer letter.  The heading will give a small summary of what is to come and the reader can then have the option to read the entire story or simply read the bold heading and at least “get the idea” of what happened.  It’s my first time trying this so if any of you have any suggestions as to how I could do this differently, or even to just say a “Good job Graham, I like it!” that would be appreciated too. 

October 11th – Enjoyed Thanksgiving Dinner With Fellow Canadians
As the headline above states I was able to enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner with fellow Canadians (and a few Americans) here in Botswana.  We had a few of the “usual suspects” including turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing.  It may seem like a small thing but being able to enjoy a family tradition while on the mission field with your “mission family” is something I really cherish.  Plus, the food was absolutely fabulous!

October 16-17 – Travelled To The Khama Rhino Sanctuary For a Weekend With The Short-Term Boys
We had a number of young men from different parts of the world who came to Flying Mission to serve as short term volunteers.  To introduce them to each other and to the beautiful country of Botswana, the short term coordinator decided it would be good to do a “guys only” trip to the Khama Rhino Sanctuary.  So the seven of us (2 Germans, 3 Americans, 1 Canadian and 1 “Kiwi” – a New Zealander for those who don’t know that term) headed north form Gaborone to Serowe where the Khama Rhino Sanctuary is.  We did some driving around the game reserve and saw some awesome African animals.  My favourite African animal is the rhino so I was excited that we were in a park that specialized in my favourite animal.  After a full day of game drives we set up camp and had a fabulous all beef braai (BBQ).  Greg Morgan, Flying Mission’s Short-term Coordinator, did a fabulous job cooking for us. After spending one night camping in tents we did another long game drive and then headed back to Gaborone.  I wish we could have stayed longer but time and money just didn’t allow.  Oh well, we’ll just have to go back again another time! 

Internship Update – I’ll be staying in Botswana until April 30, 2011.  I’m still waiting to see if I can get a US Visa for this year.  If the visa works out I’ll go to South Carolina to work at SIM International.  If not, I’ll either return to Flying Mission or another country in the SIM world. 
For those who were hoping to see me during the Christmas holidays, sorry I disappointed you.  Basically, the US Visa application process didn’t happen quickly enough so I changed my plane ticket departure time to April 30th which means I’ll be completing my internship here in Botswana.  So the good news is, for those that are missing me, I’ll be back in Canada on May 1st.  In the meantime, SIM International has continued with the US Visa application and we’re hoping to hear something soon.  If for some reason I am unable to obtain a US Visa I have 2 backup plans.  One option is to return to Flying Mission to continue doing the work I’ve been doing.  Flying Mission has let me know how much they have appreciated the work I’ve done for them over the years and are happy to continue having me here as their IT person.  Another option is to use my skills to help out another mission base somewhere else in the SIM world.  I definitely want to continue doing mission work so it’s just a matter of seeking the Lord for His direction.  I’ve wondered if some people may be thinking that I’m crazy to be able to live with such uncertainty all the time.  I’ll admit, it can be tough sometimes!  However, I have never wanted to simply plant my feet somewhere and say, “This is it Lord, I’ll do this and nothing else.”  My attitude has always been to go wherever the Lord wants me to go.  So if he opens the door to go to India or China instead of South Carolina or Botswana I want to be open enough to Him to say, “Your will Lord, not mine.”  I hope that makes sense.

Motorcycle Accident – I was hit by a car while riding my motorcycle.  Thankfully both the motorcycle and myself had no major damage.  I ended up only having a sprained toe.  Praise the Lord!
As the headline above has mentioned I was in a accident while riding my motorcycle.  To top things off it happened on my birthday!  Let me explain exactly what happened.  As I was riding my bike I began to approach a traffic light so I started to slow down.  As I began to slow down a car approached to make a right turn (remember we drive on the left here) into the mall which was to my left.  Well, for some reason this fellow decided to continue his right turn before letting me go by and ran directly into me.  Now luckily I saw him coming towards me and I was able to dodge slightly to the left to avoid his car hitting my right leg.  Instead he smacked into my back tire which caused the back of the bike to swing towards my left.  Instinctively, I put my right foot down to brace myself as the bike began to fall to my left.  This is where my right foot hit the ground hard enough to sprain my toe.  Amazingly, I was able to keep the motorcycle upright and I stopped and turned around to see that the car that hit me simply continue into the mall.  He didn’t even stop!  At that point I did a U-turn and drove a short distance on the wrong side of the road and turned into the mall to chase the hit and run driver.  The car stopped because of the traffic in front of him in the parking lot, so I pulled up beside him and started banging on his side window with my fist.  When he rolled down the window I began to question the man and based my questions mostly on his sanity and intelligence level.  His only reply to me was “Sorry!” which at the moment didn’t completely fufill me.  As traffic began to move the driver started to drive away from me.  Oh no you don’t my friend!  I followed him to his parking spot and as he got out of the car I drove up beside him and got off my motorcycle.  This is where I first noticed that there was something wrong with my right foot.  As I put my foot on the ground and began to walk I had to limp over to him because of the pain I was experiencing.  Ignoring the pain for the moment I went over to the guy and asked him for his name, cell number, registration and make and model of the car.  He willingly gave me the information but then proceeded to walk away from me. 

This is where I was unsure of what to do next.  This man obviously had no interest in going to the police station and frankly, I wasn’t sure if I went alone that it would do any good.  The gentleman who hit me was from Botswana and usually in incidences like this the police side with their own people.  It sounds harsh to say but it’s happened here in the past to previous Flying Mission personnel.  So with little damage to me or my bike, I felt it was now going to be my word against his.  So as I limped back to my bike I had this sinking feeling that going to the police would be a waste of time.  However, as I got back onto my bike a woman approached me looking distraught.  She was a Zambian woman and she immediately began to explain to me how she saw what just happened to me and thought it was terrible how someone could run into me and just continue on like nothing had happened.  She gave me her name and phone number and offered to be a witness of the accident.  Wow!  Now that I had a witness I felt better in going to the police since it wasn’t my word against his anymore.  Just as the Zambian woman finished talking to me an East Indian gentleman drove up to me in a bakkie (pickup truck).  He proceeded to tell me that he saw the entire incident and offered to be my witness as well.  After giving me his information he told me to make sure the police catch this man and give him a good beating!

Feelingly more confident now, I got on my bike and headed to the nearby police station.  I wasn’t sure how long the guy that hit me would stay at the mall so I decided to try and flag down a police officer as quickly as possible.  Seeing 2 police officers exit a police patrol car in front of the station I called out to them and asked them for help.  After explaining my situation, it was as I feared.  The police officers told me before they do anything that I needed to come into the station and fill out a police report.  What?!  Feeling confused and discouraged the police officers ushered me into the police station and into an office where they told me to wait.  After a few minutes I was introduced to a woman who I was told had the reports I needed to fill out.  I tried to explain to the woman that I was in a hurry to get back to the scene of the crime but instead of sympathy she directed me to another office where I needed to speak to the head inspector.  I was ushered to the head inspectors office which was full of police officers hovering around the inspectors desk.  After waiting for some time I finally had a chance to speak to the inspector.  After explaining to him what happened the inspector became frustrated and told me that he was busy dealing with a car accident fatality and that he needed to speak to the victims family and couldn’t help me.  Understanding the inspectors situation I then asked him if he could at least tell one of the policeman under him to help me.  The inspector was sympathetic and began yelling at two police officers sitting in the corner to go with me and find the man that hit me.  Great, now we’re getting somewhere! 

Unfortunately, by the time we began walking out of the station about 30 minutes had gone by.  Hopefully, the guy who hit me would still be there.  Luckily, we weren’t far from the mall.  I asked one of the police officers where his patrol car was to which he answered, “We don’t have a car.  We’ll have to walk there.”  Ugh.  Unfortunately, this is quite common in this part of the world.  When my house was broken into and my laptop and Ipod were stolen the police actually asked me if I could come and pick them up in my car.  They even requested that I make tea for them once they arrived at my house.  So, with a sprained right big toe the three of us walked from the police station back to the mall.  Wouldn’t you know it, once we arrived, the car that hit me had left.  Now what?  This was the question I posed to the police officers that were with me.  Well, they didn’t seem sure as to what we should do next.  I asked them if they would like to talk to one of the witnesses.  The Zambian woman told me where she worked and it was close by.  The officers didn’t seem interested in talking to her and suggested we go back to the station and fill out a report.  So we ended up back at the police station and after about an hour or so I finally had a completed police report.  As part of the report they gave me a form and suggested I go to the hospital to get my foot checked out.  My buddy Greg Morgan (FM’s short-term coordinator) was nice enough to pick me up and took me to the hospital to get checked out.  As I mentioned earlier I was only diagnosed with a sprained big toe on my right foot to which I was very grateful. 

So what happened to the culprit?  Well, so far I’ve only heard back from the police once to tell me that the cell number the guy gave me didn’t work.  It’s likely the number the guy gave me was a bogus number.  The license plate number on the car was not registered to someone from Botswana but to an East Indian who said he sold it to the man that hit me.  So at least he told the truth about his name.  The police found out where he lived and worked but so far I’ve been given no update into whether they went to see him or not.  When I returned the form they gave me for my hospital visit I handed him my hospital bill and the police told me he didn’t need the bill.  So now it appeared that even if we caught the guy he wouldn’t even have to pay for my hospital visit.  Well, thankfully the bike is ok, I’m ok, and I was only out about $30 for my hospital visit.  Not quite the birthday gift I was hoping for but I was thankful nothing worse had happened.

Nov 12th & 19th – My band Audience of One held 2 worship concerts in Gaborone at the 2 Open Baptist Churches.  The concerts went extremely well and we are hoping to hold another concert at the end of March.
For those who read my last prayer letter I mentioned that the international worship band I’m a part of “Audience of One” were holding 2 worship nights in the month of November.  The concerts turned out to be a great success and all who attended had a fabulous time worshipping and praising God.  With the success of this last concert we are hoping to hold another one in March.  I feel so honoured to be part of this band and absolutely love playing the drums and leading people into worship.  I can’t wait for March! 

Nov 21 – Dec 3 – Business trip to Zambia.  Upgraded the server and fixed various other IT issues.  It rained almost every day we were there!
At the end of November Richard (Flying Mission’s IT Manager) and I flew up to Lusaka, Zambia to do some IT work for our mission base up there.  It was great to see familiar faces when we arrived.  A lot had changed since the last time I was up there.  It was good to see the progress that Flying Mission was making up there.  The rainy season had started so there was lots of rain during the 2 weeks we were there.  Flying Mission Zambia (FMZ) has a fantastic catered guesthouse and both Richard and I felt very spoiled after staying there for 2 weeks.  I hope some other IT issues arise there in Lusaka so we can visit again!  J

Christmas Holidays – Spent 2 weeks in Cape Town, South Africa with friends.  It was great to be by the ocean again and enjoy fresh seafood.  I enjoyed staying with Beni and Marlain Londt’s family again (I was in Cape Town with them in 2008).
As the header above says I travelled to Cape Town, South Africa from Dec 15-31 to spend Christmas holidays with my friends Beni and Marlian Londt.  I traveled to Cape Town with them once before back in 2008.  I get along really well with the Londt family so it was good to spend time with them again.  As usual the time flew by but it was great to be by the ocean again and get a chance to eat fresh seafood.  I rarely eat seafood in Botswana for the same reason I rarely eat it in Edmonton.  It’s simply not as good when it isn’t fresh.  It was a great holiday but unfortunately it ended quite badly.  During my second last day someone broke into Beni’s truck and stole his wallet from under the seat.  They broke the lock on the passenger side and took nothing but the wallet.  We suspect someone may have seen Beni put it under the seat as we left the vehicle.  So most of our time after that was spent getting Beni a new passport, driver license, bank cards and all the other things that were in the wallet.  You’re always upset when it happens to you but I'm always grateful when the thieves are cowardly.  I always feel better when I know it was only things that were taken and nobody was hurt in the process.  The situation can always be worse.

Prayer Requests
And on that somewhat sorrowful note I will close.  I want to take time to thank each and every one of you for your support.  I appreciated the Christmas cards I received from you over the holidays.  I appreciated the e-mails and Facebook messages you have sent me over the last few months.  And I’ve appreciated the financial gifts you’ve given me, not just over the last few months, but over the last 6 years!  It’s hard to believe I’ve been doing mission work for that long now!  I know that if it weren’t for you, my fabulous support team, that it would not have been possible.  So for that I humbly thank you for your generous giving.

As usual, before I close I will leave you all with a few prayer requests.  Here they are:

1)     Internship – I received an A for the research project I did in the first term of my internship.  Pray that I would be able to do just as well in my second term. 
2)     I’m still in Botswana! – Praise that I have the opportunity to stay in Botswana a little longer with Flying Mission
3)     US Visa – Pray that I would get an answer soon on whether or not I’ll be able to go to South Carolina later in the year. 
4)     Audience of One – Pray for the worship band I’m a part of as we prepare to host another worship concert in March.  Pray that as a band we would be able to encourage the church here in Botswana and see people come to the Lord.
5)     Pula! (Rain in Setswana) – Praise for the fabulous amount of rain we’ve had over the last month or so.  Pray also that I would be able to get my laundry dry sometime this week.  J

Thanks in advance for your prayers.  I know they make a difference.  Blessings to you all!

Peace and prayers,

Graham Crawford <><

For more info on SIM Canada visit:  www.sim.ca.
For more info on Flying Mission visit:  www.flyingmission.org

The opinions expressed in this letter are my own opinions.  They are not necessarily the opinions or views of my employers, SIM or Flying Mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment