Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Botswana Bulletin #51







Botswana Bulletin #51
“Back To Botswana”

April 6, 2012

Prayer Requests

1)  FM Board Meetings/AGM – Please be in prayer for the Flying Mission Board.  They are having some important meetings to discuss how the mission will be moving forward after some issues arose between some of the leadership.  A way forward will be presented at the Flying Mission Annual General Meeting in June.  Please pray for Godly wisdom as the Board meets to discuss the future of the mission.

2)  Adapting – For the most part I feel I have arrived but I do find I need to remind myself from time to time that I am in a different culture.  Things are different here than they are in Canada and sometimes I have to remind myself of that.  Your prayers would be appreciated.

3)  A house!  A car! – Praise the Lord that I was able to move into a house that seems to fit me just fine.  Praise the Lord that I found a car and was able to get it registered and insured last month.

4)  Safe travels – Praise the Lord that He kept me safe during all my travels and that my bags arrived with me in Botswana. 

5)  Richard/Tina – We have 2 people here at Flying Mission that have recently gone through surgeries and are recovering at home.  Tina Kort (Initial Ministry Coordinator) broke her leg and Richard Wheatley (IT Manager) was having a lot of pain in his back which ended up requiring both of them to have surgery.  Praise the Lord both surgeries went well and both are resting comfortably at home.  Pray for speedy recoveries, we miss them already!

6)  Work – Please pray for me as I continue to work hard to get the IT issues sorted here at Flying Mission.  There are still a number of issues that need to be resolved.  Pray that I’ll be able to get things sorted so that people can work without distraction.

7)  Church – I’ve gotten involved again with the worship team at church and was invited to help out with the youth group on Saturdays.  Pray that the worship team would grow and develop and that the youth would be challenged in their faith and daily walk with God.

Introduction

Greetings everyone from warm and sunny Gaborone, Botswana!  Yes, I’m back and it’s been great catching up with old friends and even making a few new ones.  Much has changed since I’ve been gone so it’s taken a bit of time to settle back in to life here.  However, I think I’m beginning to “arrive” so I thought now would be a good time to share how things are going over here.

Trip Back To Botswana

On March 4th I headed to the Edmonton International Airport with my Dad to catch my first of four flights to Botswana.  Unfortunately, it didn’t take long before I faced my first issue of the trip.  The issue was that because my first flight was a domestic flight (from Edmonton to Toronto) I had to pay for a second bag.  I’ve never had to do that before but apparently someone thought it would be fun to switch the rules up a bit.  So, I ended up paying $70 to haul my 2nd bag from Edmonton to Toronto.  Apparently hauling them from Toronto to Botswana is free of charge.  Perhaps next time I’ll try to get a direct flight out of Edmonton to save money! 

Anyway, once I got on the plane I had a great time meeting the people sitting beside me.  The one guy was an industrial electrician who was working in north Yukon close to the Alaska border.  He was originally from Ontario and was heading home for a holiday.  The lady beside him was a coach for the Ontario Special Olympics Curling Team.  They just had a Special Olympics event in Edmonton and were all flying back to Toronto.  It was cool to hear from her and she even introduced me to some of the athletes.  Apparently Team Ontario finished dead last but they all had a lot of fun.  I guess that’s the point though right!  I shared with both of them the purpose of my trip and they both seemed quite interested, and maybe even a bit jealous that I was heading to such a warm climate!  Although Canadians can’t complain too much this year, it’s been a very mild winter.  However, I’m still glad to be back in warm Botswana!

Needless to say time went quickly and before we knew it we were in Toronto.  The flight was a little bit delayed which only gave me about 1.5 hrs until my flight to London was departing.  When I checked in to British Airways I was met with another issue.  The agent was concerned that they wouldn’t have enough time to move my luggage to the plane that was taking me to London.  “Great,” I thought.  “I can’t even make it out of Canada before I lose my luggage!”  Since I couldn’t do much about it I just made my way to the gate and said a little prayer for my luggage.  I know it might sound kind of lame to some to pray for my luggage but it’s a great habit to get in to.  I remember hearing a quote that I don’t remember exactly, but it goes something to the effect of “The more you trust the Lord with the little things in life the easier it is to trust him with the big things.”  Plus, it always makes me feel better knowing I’ve committing something into His hands.  And wouldn’t you know it, when I went to get on the plane I checked with the gate agents and they were able to confirm that my bags had made it on board.  Maybe praying for my bags wasn’t such a lame idea after all, eh?  So, with both me and my bags safely on board we headed to London, England.

We arrived in London quite early, about 6:30am.  My next flight out wasn’t for almost 12 hours so I was going to have a long wait.  In the past I’ve usually gone out and explored London to pass the time.  I must be starting to get old because this time I got myself a day room at a hotel and had a shower and a nap!  It actually was a great idea because by the time I had to head back to the airport I felt really refreshed.  So back I went to Heathrow Airport to fly to Johannesburg, South Africa. 

I got a few hours of sleep on the plane which was good because I still felt fresh once I got to South Africa.  I would have gotten more sleep but there were these 2 Sri Lankan men sitting beside me.  Unfortunately, they must have had a lot to drink because they kept getting up and going to the bathroom.  This wouldn’t have been so bad if I had the window seat but I had the aisle.  After about the 4th time being nudged out of dreamland I asked the guy with the window seat if he would like to switch seats so they could come and go as they pleased.  He refused.  I guess they were enjoying the fact that they could interrupt my sleep whenever they wanted.  I only had about 2.5 hours in Johannesburg so before I knew it we were boarding to head to my final destination, Botswana!  The plane that flies to Botswana is usually quite small so there is no walkway from the terminal to the plane.  They have a bus that drives you over to the plane.  This was fine except when we got to the plane they wouldn’t let us off the bus.  Normally this doesn’t sound like that big of a deal but for those who have travelled internationally to countries that…hmm…don’t find deodorant a necessary part of life, you can understand my dilemma.  Luckily before too long a man in a reflective vest began to walk towards the bus.  “Excellent,” I thought.  “I can finally get some fresh air.”  To my dismay the man simply opened up the bus door and told us that the previous passengers had made a real mess of the plane and it was taking more time to clean it up.  My immediate thoughts on what they could possibly be cleaning up made the smell in the bus seem like a flower garden.  “Oh no,” I thought.  “What if someone threw up in the airplane!”  Eventually they let us out of the bus and I walked slowly toward the open door of the plane, horrified by what smells might await me.  To my relief the plane was odor free.  Praise the Lord!  For those who have ever flown in a plane while there was a full puke bag on board knows how intolerable it is (I’ve had the privilege of sitting in front of such a person once).  So, with a clean plane and empty puke bags, we headed to Gaborone.

An hour later I landed, breezed through immigration, and was warmly greeted by a number of people from the Flying Mission family.  The next challenge was to see if my bags had arrived with me.  I’ve been told a number of horror stories where people have had bags lost or stolen during long trips around the world.  Thankfully, I’ve never completely lost a bag.  Only once have I had a bag delayed and it arrived in Botswana the next day.  So you can imagine how thrilled I was when I saw both my bags on the luggage carousel.  The only issue I had was a repeat from the last time I travelled to Botswana.  I have a suitcase that is called a “spinner”.  For those who don't know, a spinner is a suitcase with 4 wheels on the bottom.  This seems like a great idea but the first time I travelled with it one of the wheels broke off.  I was able to repair the suitcase during my time in Canada and I figured it wouldn't happen again.  Well, when I went to pick up my bags I noticed tone of the wheels had broken off again.  Oh well, at least the contents made it. 

Back To Work

Flying Mission gave me 2 weeks to get settled which was great because it gave me a chance to get some things sorted out with the house, immigration, and it also gave me time to find a car.  After 2 weeks I headed back to work and was immediately bombarded by a number of issues.  Now that I’ve had a few weeks to catch up, things seem to be less stressful than they were.  There are still a few issues that need to be solved so your prayers for my workload would be appreciated.

Back To Church

I was finally able to attend a service at my home church here in Gaborone, Open Baptist Church G-West.  It was great to see familiar faces and I even had a chance to play my Djembe (African drum) during my first Sunday back.  Needless to say I’ve gotten involved once again with the worship team which gives my drumming student, Andy Moyo some welcome rest.  We typically take turns playing the drums so we each get a chance to sit in the congregation some Sundays which works great to prevent burn-out.  I was also glad to finally meet the new youth pastor our church has hired, Pastor Ngugi.  Ngugi is from Kenya and has a lot of experience working with young people.  I was asked if I’d help with some of the youth who want to form a worship band.  We get together on Saturday afternoons for bible study and band practice.  So far I’ve had 4 young people interested in learning the drums so it’s going to be a tough assignment!  I’m hoping we’ll have people trained up enough to start playing some songs soon.  Please be in prayer for me that I would be able to be a blessing to these young people as we spend time together and in God’s word.

Conclusion

As usual my letter is getting quite long so I think I’ll stop here.  Thank you to each and every one of you who have helped make this trip back to Botswana possible either by praying for me or helping me with my finances or both!  I appreciate it so much. 

Until next time!

Peace and prayers,

Graham Crawford <><


For more info on SIM Canada visit:  www.sim.ca.
For more info on Flying Mission visit:  www.flyingmission.org

The opinions expressed are my own opinions.  They are not necessarily the opinions or views of my employers, SIM or Flying Mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment