Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Botswana Bulletin #52







Botswana Bulletin #52
“Learning Processes”

June 6, 2012

Prayer Requests

1)  School theft – Praise that after a costly theft occurred at our Aircraft Mechanic school we were able to replace the items that were stolen with insurance money.  Pray that the Lord would protect our school from future break-ins.

2)  Lesang – Praise that Lesang wasn’t injured during his attack and that through this tough situation he saw the Lord’s hand in it.  Pray for the youth at Open Baptist Church that they would continue to grow closer to the Lord through the Bible Studies and that they would continue to develop their musical skills and be able to lead worship at church in the future.

3)  Rerotlhe – Praise that the orphan children were able to receive warm clothes for the winter months ahead.  Pray that the children would continue to receive good care at the village day care facility.

4)  Annual General Meeting – Please pray for the Flying Mission board as they prepare for the annual meeting.  The meeting was postponed from June 9th to July 28th because it was felt there wasn’t enough time to adequately prepare for the meeting.  Pray for wise decisions to be made about the way forward after some tough issues arose last year.


Winter is Here!

Greetings one and all from an increasingly cooler Gaborone, Botswana!  That’s right, it actually can get cold in Africa.  Who’d a thunk it?!  For those coming from northern Canada this may not sound cold but the locals here are definitely bundled up these days.  Daytime temps are still around +20C so nothing to worry about there.  Last night it got down to +4C which doesn’t sound that bad either but when your house doesn’t have central heating it can a bit chilly.  I compare it to the times when I’ve camped in the Rocky Mountains.  Typically day time temperatures are reasonable but those cold mornings can be pretty chilly.  I’m very thankful for my warm showers in the morning!  Anyway, it’s been a while since I last updated you all let me get right to it.

The Airport ID Process

Those who have lived in Africa will totally relate to this.  For those who haven’t, this will give you a little insight into some of the “procedures” we go through to get everyday things done.  One of my duties here at Flying Mission is to support the IT infrastructure at our hangar location out at the airport.  Since the hangar is located in a secure area of the airport you need to apply for a pass in order to get through the security gate.  So, in order to do this you need to fill out an application and provide a number of documents showing that you are who you say you are.  No problem, right? 

Well, I gathered all the needed documents and went to the airport terminal to have them processed.  It was at this point that I found out that the office which processes the application is conveniently open only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Oh, and also just in the morning.  Well, it just so happened that it wasn’t Tuesday or Thursday when I was there so I had to make a return trip later in the week.  After a few days I returned to the office to submit my application.  Unfortunately, I was told my application was incomplete as I hadn’t submitted a form from the police showing that they ran my fingerprints to confirm that I wasn’t a criminal.  It’s at this point when my brain starts to tell me, “Well, they do this all the time.  The procedure should be relatively quick.”  Think again brain!  Since I knew I only had a limited amount of time to get my fingerprints done before the airport office closed I headed for the nearest police station which was the police station located right at the airport.  Once I arrived I was told that they didn’t have the necessary equipment to do fingerprints and that I would have to go to the police station located in a part of town called “Broadhurst”.  So, I drove to the Broadhurst Police station.  Once there I got discouraged because there was a massive queue out the door of the office.  Apparently, once this technology became available everybody wanted to use it.  So in order to get anything (even a job in some instances) they want you to get your fingerprints checked.  Well, this means that everybody is going to this one office to do this.  Since there wasn’t much I could do about it I just stood in line and waited. 

Eventually, it was my turn.  There are a number of different scans he had to do so the officer started guiding me through them.  My right hand scanned fine but when we started scanning my left hand it wouldn’t accept the scans.  The officer told me that it was because my hands were sweaty and he advised me to go and wash them.  I didn’t think my hands were sweaty at all but since he was the boss I went to go find a bathroom.  I discovered that there was no public bathroom at the Police station so I ended up finding a tap in the corner of the plot and used that to wash my hands.  This didn’t make sense though because now I’ve just made my hands wet since I had no soap or towel.  Wasn’t the problem that they were sweaty, meaning that they were wet?  Anyway, after performing this procedure I returned to the office to have my left hand scanned.  It still didn’t work.  The officer told me that the left hand is harder to scan because it is closer to my heart.  ???  I had no idea what he meant but I informed him that there wasn’t much I could do about that without scheduling a massive operation to get either my heart or my hand moved.  Eventually I gave my own opinion as to why I thought it wasn’t working.  When the officer went to scan my fingers he was grabbing my hand and pressing my fingers down firmly on the scanner.  In my opinion he was pressing too hard and this was causing the problem.  I asked him if I could try scanning my own hand without him mashing my fingers into the machine.  He complied.  Before long my left hand was completely scanned.  It was then that I was notified that the printout of my scans wouldn’t be available until tomorrow.  The reasoning is because the queues are so long they just scan you and go on to the next person.  Then at the end of the day they start the printer and it prints out all the forms.  So the next day I headed back to the office and picked up my fingerprints.  I had assumed that they would have scanned them through a database as well and that I would have been cleared.  Wrong!  I now had to take this form and go to a different police station clear across town.  So I drove across town to this other police station to see if I could get my prints cleared.  Once again I was greeted by a massive queue.  After waiting about an hour it was finally my turn.  I handed the documents to the officer and he left that office to go to another one.  He came back and told me it would take 3 days for my prints to be cleared and I could come pick them up then.  After 3 days I returned to the office and waited in the queue again just to find out that my prints weren’t ready and that I would have to come back again the following day.  The next day I waited in the queue yet again and after a long wait I had my cleared fingerprints.

Unfortunately, it was Friday which meant I couldn’t submit my fingerprints to the airport office until Tuesday morning.  So I waited until Tuesday morning and I went to the office to get my airport ID.  My documents were processed and cleared so the man took my picture then told me I needed to pay for the pass at the accounts office.  I couldn’t believe where I had to go to get to the accounts office.  It was in a secure area of the airport so I was glad I already had a visitors pass or else I would have had to arrange one.  To pay for my pass I had to go through the domestic gates meaning I went through security (the x-ray machine) and then walked out one of the domestic gates onto the tarmack.  From there I was just told to walk to the left until I saw an office.  So after walking past parked planes and such I arrived at the account office.  After paying and getting my receipt I then had to walk back to the terminal, through the domestic arrival gates, past baggage claim and back up to the airport office.  When I showed him my payment receipt he gave me my brand new airport id pass!  The entire process from start to finish took about 2 weeks.  Fun hey?

Mathata (Setswana word for “Problem”)

I’ve spent over 5 years in Botswana now and it’s beginning to get harder and harder to have any “firsts” but I had one at the end of April that I thought I should share with you.  One morning I needed to go visit BTC (Botswana Telecommunications Company) because we were having problems with our internet connection.  BTC is located pretty much in the middle of downtown and it’s notoriously difficult to find parking spaces as there is simply a lack of them.  After driving around for a while I noticed that close to the BTC building there were some people that had just parked their cars on the side of the road.  Since that was what people were doing I assumed it was acceptable and followed suit and parked on the side of the road.  After going in to BTC and getting our internet connection sorted I headed back to my car. 

As I got in to my vehicle I heard someone shout and looked to see who it was.  It was a police officer.  He asked me a strange question, “Is this your car?”  Considering I was sitting in it I figured the best answer would be to say yes.  Once I had said yes he asked me for my drivers license so I gave it to him and he proceeded to copy my name down on a form and then handed it to me.  It was a parking ticket!  If you’ve seen how people park here you’d understand my amazement.  I mentioned in a previous letter that I saw a Combi (taxi van) parked on a sidewalk before.  So I’ll admit that my understanding of legal and illegal parking is a bit shaky.  So I asked him what I had done wrong and he told me that I was parked in such a way that I was obstructing traffic.  As cars were whizzing by us uninhibited I asked for clarification as I couldn’t see how that was happening.  He showed me the barely visible paint on the road and explained that my drivers side tire was across the line thus parked in the roadway.  I tried to explain to him that there were many cars parked on the side of the road like this all the time and he showed me a stack of tickets waiting for them as well.  It seemed unfair but I could see that he wasn’t going to budge and let me off the hook.  So I asked him how much the ticket was for.  “1000 Pula.” My heart sunk.  For my Canadian friends reading this that is about $130 Cdn.  I think the largest parking ticket I ever paid was something like $35.  I told him the fine was outrageous but at this point he spotted another person heading to their illegally parked car.  It was a beautiful white South African woman.  I thought perhaps she could use her beauty to sway this officer from giving us tickets.  However, after arguing for a while it was clear that even this woman’s beauty wasn’t going to be enough.  The officer did explain to us though that the fine is a fixed traffic violation fine.  Basically what that means is if you doing something illegal on the roadways, regardless of what it is the fine is 1000 Pula.  I told him that I should have done something worse like running over a pedestrian because then I would have at least been getting my monies worth!  Anyway, considering that there are a few times when I should have been paying speeding tickets and got away with it, I went to the police station and paid my fine. 

School Theft

For those who don’t know, Flying Mission is currently running an Aviation Mechanic school to teach young people how to repair airplanes.  Part of my workload shortly after arriving was to equip the school with 2 computers in their library which would allow students to do research and assignments while at school.  Shortly after installing the 2 computers somebody decided it would be a good idea to break into the school and take the computers.  The school also had 2 TV’s in their classrooms which were stolen as well.  Thankfully, all the equipment was insured so we didn’t have to find new funding to replace the stolen items (the cost of the stolen items totaled about $3000 Cdn).  About a month after the theft I was able to get my hands on 2 new computers and 2 new tv’s and was able to get them setup back at the school.  In addition I was also able to get a photocopier for the school which also works as a network printer which gives them the ability to print off assignments as well as make photocopies of textbook pages as there is a shortage of textbooks.  It was a good feeling knowing the school was back up with the tools it needed.

Easter Visit

I had my first chance to play host to friends of mine from Namibia during Easter holidays.  My friends Gilbert and Sara Collins along with their 2 young boys stayed at my house for a week while they were visiting friends in Botswana.  Gilbert works for the Peace Corps in Windhoek, Namibia but before that post he was stationed in Gaborone.  While in Gaborone the Collins attended Open Baptist Church G-West which is where we met.  It was great to see them after a long time apart and I look forward to “returning the favour” and visiting them in Namibia in the future.

Lesang’s Attack

I have been volunteering my time at Open Baptist Church G-West as a youth leader on Saturday afternoons.  Typically we do a bible study at 2pm and after an hour or so we have been doing worship team practice where I’ve been teaching 2 young guys how to play the drums.  The youth are excited to learn and the goal is to form a worship team consisting of young people that can lead worship on Sunday mornings.  During one of our bible studies a young man named Lesang shared a testimony which I’d like to now share with you.

Lesang was walking in an alley on his way home from school when he noticed a few rough looking guys walking towards him.  As the lead man got closer to him he watched in horror as the man pulled out a long machete and proceeded to swing it at him.  Lesang did his best to fight his attacker off but being a smaller guy his attacker eventually overpowered him and they began to wrestle on the ground.  As the seconds ticked by the inevitable happened and Lesang ended up pinned on his back with his attacker on top of him.  It was at this point Lesang realized that fighting was futile and as the man began to raise his machete for the finishing blow, Lesang yelled out, “Stop it!  I’ll give you whatever you want!”  At this the man lowered his machete and got up.  Lesang rose to his feet and began giving his attacker his phone, his money and handed him his backpack.  The man took the phone and the money but wanted to be shown what was in the backpack.  “What’s in the bag?!”, he shouted.  Lesang thought for a moment and said, “Just some school books and my Bible.”  Lesang wasn’t sure why he specifically singled out his Bible, it’s just what came out of his mouth.  The attackers demeanor changed, “A Bible?  Did you say you have a Bible?”  “Yes”, was the reply.  “Are you a Christian?”  “Yes I am”, was Lesang’s answer.  “Sorry, sorry, sorry…” the attacker started handing back Lesang’s phone and his money.  Confused, Lesang asked him, “What are you doing?”  The attacker replied, “You are not the one we are looking for”, and he even started to wipe the dust off of Lesang’s clothes. 

Lesang’s comment after telling us his story was that he now knows that God truly is watching over him and that His Word is mightier than any machete.  I thought about it for a bit and asked our youth pastor Ngugi, “How many sermons do you think that incident was worth?”  Sometimes the best teaching we can receive is teaching without words.

An interesting factoid regarding this story is Lesang’s name.  Lesang is the pluralized form of the word “Lesa” which roughly translated into English would be like saying “Stop it!”  Since this is pluralized it would be like “Stop it all of you!”  Most Batswana children have stories that explain why they were given the names they have.  I’m not sure what his birth story is but in this case his name seemed to fit the story of his attack.

Rerotlhe

I was privileged to be invited along to hand out warm clothes at one of our orphan projects.  The project is called “Rerotlhe” (roughly translated “We are together”) and is located in a small village called “Segerelela” about an hour northwest of Gaborone.  The warm clothes were donated by the United Free Church of Scotland.  It was great to see these orphan kids being well taken care of at the day care.  The chief of the village was there to thank Flying Mission for organizing the clothing. 

Trip to Zambia

Last month I had the privilege of heading up to Lusaka, Zambia to help with some of the IT needs at the Flying Mission base there.  I was there for a full week and had a great time and was glad we were able to get a lot of work done given the short time frame.  I thought I’d share with you a quick little story of something that happened during my time there.

Our base is located to the southwest of Lusaka in an area known as “Makeni”.  It’s a rural area and our base is situated on an old farm where we have some housing, an office, a hangar and a runway.  On the farm we have a large mast where at the top we have a wireless antenna which provides us with an internet connection.  further down the mast we have a few other wireless antenna’s which beam our internet connection to various buildings in the area.  One of those antenna’s beams the internet to our hangar.   Well one day this connection stopped working so Joel, our chief engineer, asked if I’d take a look at it.  After doing some testing which included climbing up to the top of the hangar to check the receiving antenna, I figured there must be something wrong with the cable that goes from the receiving device to the chief engineer office.  The cable runs down the side of the building, then goes underground and comes up on the other side of the hangar close to the office.  Upon inspecting the cable it became clear what the problem was.  Something had chewed on the cable!  Either a mouse or a rat decided that our network cable would make a nice snack which in essence destroyed the cable.  I tried to cut off the eaten part of the cable but the cable then became too short to work.  Thankfully, we had thought ahead and buried 2 cables under the hangar in case one failed.  So we just switched to the second cable and all was well.  Joel mentioned he’d get a trap and try to get rid of the rodents.  Well, as luck would have it the rats/mice were quicker than Joel and they ate the second cable before we could get traps laid.  Unfortunately, this happened just before my boss, Richard, and I were due to leave so we didn’t have time to lay new cables.  Fortunately there is someone there that has experience making network cables and so he should be able to repair the broken cable.  Just one of the many fun things you get to see being a computer techy in Africa!

Annual General Meeting

After much discussion the Flying Mission board decided to postpone its annual meeting from June 9th to July 28th.  Please be in prayer for our board as they prepare for this meeting.  Flying Mission has been going through some tough issues so pray that at this meeting we would be united as a mission and that we would make wise decisions about the way forward.

Thank you

In conclusion I want to take time again to thank all of you who support me as I continue to do the work the Lord has given me.  Thank you for reading this letter and for praying for me.  Thank you for your financial donations which have allowed me to work in the country for over 5 years now!  Your efforts are most appreciated!  God bless!

Peace and prayers,

Graham Crawford <><


For more info on SIM Canada visit:  www.sim.ca.
For more info on Flying Mission visit:  www.flyingmission.org

The opinions expressed are my own opinions.  They are not necessarily the opinions or views of my employers, SIM or Flying Mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment