Saturday, June 9, 2012

Botswana Bulletin – Fifteenth Edition


Botswana Bulletin – Fifteenth Edition
PULA!”

January 11, 2006

Greetings to you all from the rain soaked country of Botswana!  Wow, what a difference a year makes!  Last year around this time I remember us praying and praying for rain and seeing nothing but a few miniscule rain clouds.  Well, as I write this it is presently pouring (I wrote this portion on January 9th).  And I’m not talking just a little shower here.  I’m talking the cats and dogs kinda rain.  This is the kind of rain I was expecting in Africa.  One thing I can say for sure is when it finally decides to rain here, you get a ton of it.  So, to God be the glory.  We finally have rain!  (or as the locals call it “Pula”)  Little did we know a year ago that he was going to give us a years worth in one week!  Thanks be to God for his faithfulness.

So, as most of you have wanted to hear how my holidays went I guess this is my big chance to fill you in.  Our last day of work at the Flying Mission office was December 23rd then we had two weeks off to celebrate the holidays.  Actually, on the 23rd I was invited to supper to meet our newest missionaries from the US, Peter and Carrie Koens (pronounced like the last part of racoons).  They are from the great state of Tennessee and it has been a real hoot getting to know them.  Peter is the same age as me (30 for those who don’t know) so its been a blessing to have someone closer to my age around to chat with.  Not that I’m lonely or anything, its just something that has been a real treat for me.  I’m sure you can all relate.

So anyway, after my big dinner with the Koens it was time to celebrate Christmas eve.  I did this by heading out to the village of Ramotswa (about 30 minutes south of Gaborone on the South African border) to attend a friends wedding.  Well, actually it was the son of a pastor I know, so there is the whole truth.  I really enjoy weddings because it gives me a chance to test my Setswana with my “village friends” and it also connects me more to the culture of the local people.  During the week most of my work is done within the Flying Mission office which mostly consists of foreigners (to Botswana that is).  With this in mind, you can imagine how nice it is to go out and be the only white person around for miles.  Hmm…then again maybe some of you wouldn’t be comfortable with that at all!  I for one love the way the people have accepted me as one of there own.  It has become a real blessing to feel comfortable in a foreign culture.  I still struggle with the language but at times I can actually understand what people are saying now!  “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” (Luke 8:8).

After a great day in the village it was time to spend some time with fellow missionaries.  On Christmas Day our “Member Care Specialists” Steve and Pam Workman (a pastor and wife from Texas) held a big Christmas potluck at there house in Mokolodi (a small village about 15mins south of town).  For those who know how poor my cooking skills are they will be shocked that I took on the incredible task of making scalloped potatoes for the potluck.  Oh hey, I found out why they call them “scalloped” too.  To scallop something just means “to cut thinly” or something like that.  Makes more sense now that I know what it means.  Anyway, after getting some instructions on how to make them I was surprised at how well they turned out.  I think my luck should be credited to my mother since I just followed her non-verbal cooking technique which is “when in doubt, cook it some more”.  These are the important lessons that come back to you when its just you, a pot of potatoes, and your cooking reputation.

I want to break away from Africa for a moment to tell you a story about my Mom that I thought was so funny.  Sorry Mom if this embarrasses you.  I think it falls in the category of “cute” more than embarrassing.  Anyway, last thanksgiving (Oct 2005) my family was invited to my aunt and uncles place for thanksgiving dinner.  Because there was a large group of us we dished our food “buffet style”.  One of my Aunts relatives was in front of me and unfortunately was using a plastic plate to hold her enormous pile of thanksgivings finest (turkey, stuffing, gravy, etc).  Not only was she using a plastic plate but she was also holding it by the edge because it was hot.  I think we all know what happened next.  Well, the tensile strength of the plate was breached and all that glorious food came tumbling to the floor faster than you can say, “NOOO!”  As the mess was being cleaned up my mother decided it was best to look at the good that came out of this experience and said, “Well, at least no one was hurt.”  Oh my.  I almost died laughing.  I think it was because of the fact that I have never heard of someone being injured by there thanksgiving dinner.  I’d definitely have to rank that up as one of my favourite thanksgiving memories so thanks Mom for the memory! 

Anyway, I told you that so I could quote my mother regarding the outcome of people eating my scalloped potatoes.  “At least no one was hurt.”

So after cheating death Christmas day it was time for round two.  For Boxing Day I was invited to “post-Christmas dinner” at Bryan and Diane Wilson’s house (our aviation manager).  For this meal it was decided that I would prepare broccoli with cheese sauce.  Once again, “At least no one was hurt”.  I’ll say this, if you ever have a choice to eat a prepared meal that I have cooked and the choice is broccoli or scalloped potatoes, pick the potatoes.  As for the rest of the meal, wow, all I can say is TOP NOTCH.  Bryan was even able to find 2 turkeys!  These babies were huge!  But wow, great cooking by the Wilsons and the other guests who attended.  The stuffing totally reminded me of my grandma’s recipe.  I think I had fourths on the stuffing it was so good.

So, after a few days of eating it was time to relax.  I didn’t do much during the last week of December.  I went to a braai (BBQ) my friend Baleseng held at her house in the village of Gabane (about 10 mins outside Gaborone) which was nice.  Besides that though I was happy just putting my feet up and taking some time to relax and refresh myself (aka. SLEEP). 

When New Years Eve came I went to “the mother ship”, Open Baptist Church Maruapula for a special New Years Eve service.  We sang and danced and prayed our way into the New Year.  It was a great way to end the year.  I don’t remember ever being at church on New Years Eve in my life.  I remember being with my church youth group as a teenager, but I don’t ever remember being physically in a church building to countdown the New Year.  It was kind of amusing though at the end of the service.  We had a guest speaker come and he was challenging the people with the gospel.  The plan was for him to stop 10mins before midnight, but of course, because this is Africa, he went late.  Just as he was doing the “altar call” part of the sermon, fireworks and firecrackers began to blow up all around the church.  Fireworks are HUGELY popular here during the holidays.  If its illegal nobody appears to care because EVERYBODY seemed to be blowing up something on New Years.  Anyway, back to my story, OBC shares the same property with…I guess what you would call a strip mall and is usually crowded with people at night.  There is a bar just across from the church and it isn’t unusual for OBC to have drunks show up at the church (a few showed up after our service requesting songs).  With this in mind AND the fact that it was New Years Eve you can imagine the noise this poor pastor was dealing with.  The good part of this story is there were 3 people who were able to block out the noise and gave there lives to Christ.  What a way to start the New Year!

After celebrating the New Year at OBC I headed straight home to get some sleep.  Why you ask?  Well, I had volunteered to give my testimony in church the next day so I had to be up early and be ready to speak.  Once again a first time event for me, giving my testimony to an entire church!  Well, actually it was only about 20 people and about half of that was kids so it was a pretty small congregation.  I was encouraged by some in the congregation who said they really enjoyed my testimony.  I was just grateful they were all able to stay awake to hear it!

So, with the holidays finished it was back to the “same-old same-old”.  However, this year appears to be quite different so far from last year.  We have had a ton of rain lately (Praise God).  I heard as much as 8.5cm fell on January 9th.  As much of a blessing the rain is for our dam it also came with a cost.  BTV (Botswana Television), the local TV station here reported that many cattle were struck by lightning during the storm and that there was a lot of flooding throughout south eastern Botswana.  January 9th will also be a memorable day for me and I’ll tell you why. 

The house I’m staying at right now is owned by the director of our Aviation School, Ken and Anne-Marie Baerg.  Ken and Anne-Marie and the rest of their family (they have 4 kids) are out of the country on furlough so I’ve been entrusted to take care of their house and there three dogs ; Kiwi, Honey and Jake.  All of them are German Shephards.  Anyway, the one dog, Kiwi, is about 10 years old (which for an African dog would equal about 100 in human years).  Needless to say Ken and Anne-Marie left me some money for what was considered inevitable vet visits.  Well, as it turned out Kiwi did develop bleeding in her ear one day so off to the vet we went.  After that she seemed to be hanging in there pretty good.  Then January 9th came.

I left the house about 8AM for work and returned about 5:30PM.  This was the day of the big storm as well so when you picture this story in your head remember that its absolutely pouring outside.  Ok, so I get home and all I see are 2 dogs, Honey and Jake.  Where’s Kiwi?  I start calling her from the house and nothing happens.  So out into the rain I go looking for an old dog.  I finally find her laying under a tree soaked to the bone.  To tell you the honest truth when I first saw her I thought she was dead.  When I began to walk closer I could see that she was breathing which was a welcome relief.  I walked right up to the tree and called her.  Nothing.  I tried helping her up but she was completely limp.  I decided at this point it was time for the vet to take a look at her.  Luckily, because of the rain, I had borrowed a Flying Mission vehicle.  Could you imagine me having to strap a half dead dog to my motorcycle?  Anyway, I got some towels and covered the back seat of the car, then began the task of picking up a soaking wet 10 year old German Shepherd.  GOOD TIMES.  Have you ever smelt a soaking wet dog?  Nasty!  Anyway, so off we go to the vet.  When I get there I open up the back of the car, pick up Kiwi and start heading towards the clinic.  Ok, this is where the story gets a bit graphic.  If your easily grossed out you may want to skip to the prayer requests.  Ok, for those who are still with me as I was carrying the dog it decided it was time to have some diarrhea.  Luckily, because of the way I was carrying her none of it got on me.  I was just glad she waited until she was out of the car!  Anyway, I get her into the vet clinic and the vet checks her out.  He tells me that she looked dehydrated and would keep her overnight to assess any other problems there might be with her.  I told her that she had diarrhea on the way in and the first thing he asks me is, “What color was it?”  Uh, I kind of paused for a moment and decided it wasn’t a time for jokes.  “I didn’t look”, was all I said.  Since nobody had been with her all day it was possible that she could have been sick all day, thus causing the dehydration.  Anyway, the vet said they would do what they could and to call him in the morning.  I called the vet the next morning and he told me the news that Kiwi had died during the night.  Apparently they gave her an IV and she was beginning to brighten but she was throwing up and having diarrhea a lot and it was just too much for her body to handle.  The next sentence he said to me I felt was quite cold (no pun intended).  “She’s in the cooler now what do you want us to do with her?”  I had no idea what the owners would want done with their dead dog.  Well, I did some phoning around and it was decided to let the vet clinic dispose of the body.  You can never be to sure these days.  Some families have accepted their dogs as “one of them” and would perhaps hold a funeral for a dog.  After e-mailing the owners and getting their reply I realized that this family is not “one of those”.  Basically they said that they weren’t surprised because of her age and just said thanks for dealing with it.

So the question you have to ask yourself after something like that is, “Why me God?”  After thinking about it for a bit I felt that maybe it was for the best that it happened to me.  Had one of the Baerg kids come across their half dead dog it may have frightened them.  Maybe it was best that it was me who found her.  I think their one daughter was quite close to the dog so having her not be around to witness the demise of her dog was easy to understand.  An interesting thing about this story is that while I was at the vet clinic a friend of mine text messaged me to see how I was doing.  I told him the story about the dog and she replied back, “Did you pray for the dog?”  The statement caught me by surprise.  How do you pray for a dog?  Well, when I got home I figured I’d give it a try.  I prayed that if God decided to allow Kiwi to die that she would not suffer long, that he would take her quick.  I also prayed that if she lived that she would be as the Baerg kids remember her.  I felt it might be traumatic for the kids if they come back and there dog is now a vegetable.  In the end I think it has all turned out for the best, thank the Lord.  Now all I have to do is get the smell of wet dog out of the back seat!

Ok, well this letter has definitely gone long AGAIN.  However, before I go its that time again for a few prayer requests.  Here they are in random order:

1)  Please continue to pray for rain.  We’ve had a few good days which has been great but we could still use more before the dry season starts.
2)  Please pray for the Baerg kids who may be mourning the loss of their dog.
3)  Please pray for my church OBC G-West.  We have an executive meeting tonight and there is still much to discuss.
4)  Please pray for my boss Richard Wheatley who is presently in Zambia working on the IT infrastructure our mission is involved with there.

Thank you again for all your prayer and financial support.  It definitely makes a difference.  I’ve realized that there is nothing worth NOT praying for.  Even a dying dog can be prayed for!  Don’t make the mistake of thinking God won’t care.  Anyway, before I break into a sermon I’ll bid you all farewell.  God bless and Happy New Year!

Peace and prayers,

Graham Crawford <><

No comments:

Post a Comment