Saturday, June 9, 2012

Botswana Bulletin – Tenth Edition


Botswana Bulletin – Tenth Edition
“When are you coming back?”

August 5, 2005

Hello again from the slightly warmer Gaborone, Botswana!  It appears that winter is over as the temperature in the mornings seems to be increasing.  It’s actually starting to feel hot again during the afternoon with temperatures nearing 30ºC.  With the morning temperature warming up, my trips on “Mighty Mouse” (my motorcycle) have been a lot more comfortable.  Speaking of Mighty Mouse he’s been running great lately.  He was running really rough last week so I took him in to the shop to get repaired.  My mother sent me some money so I decided to get a real thorough repair done.  Well, I can now say that Mighty Mouse is acting a little mightier since the tune up.  I was afraid that the motorcycle wouldn’t last until September so it’s been a blessing as it appears it will be fine until I leave. 

Wow, July went by really fast!  The big reason for that is the 2 long weekends, one being a four day weekend! (Something we aren’t used to having in the western world)  July 1st is a public holiday they call “Sir Seretse Khama Day” who was the first Botswana president.  The next long weekend was July 16-19.  The 18th was “Presidents Day” and someone just decided to tack on a public holiday on the Tuesday.  Suffice to say we’ve had lots of holidays this month! 

So now to tell you what I’ve been doing this month.  On the night of July 1st I was invited to a night vigil in the small village of Gabane (pronounced Ha-Ban-ee) just south of Gaborone.  My friend Baleseng (a local Botswana woman) has finished her house and she wanted to pray that her new house would be a place of worship and also a place of blessing in her community.  It was cool dedicating her new house to the Lord.  The previous prayer meeting we had at her house was more for the building process and now it was time to pray for the living that is going to occur in her house.  We prayed and sang and a few people gave testimonies of how God was working in their life.  It was almost all in Setswana so I really had to concentrate on what was being said.  By 4am I was pretty much out of energy and fell asleep.  Now I know how Jesus’ disciples felt the night before his arrest!  Despite my lack of energy it was a great night (and morning I guess).

A few of my friends here in Botswana (myself included) have purchased African drums and we decided it would be cool to have an “African style” worship night and just play our drums to some worship songs.  My friend Michael (German short-termer) brought his guitar and we had a great time playing our drums and worshiping the Lord.  It was a great night of worship and was something I really needed.  It was good to have some fellowship with my fellow ex-patriots and hear about some of the things God is teaching them. 

Once again this month was another month of good-byes.  One of the families that have been here working for Flying Mission for 4 years decided it was time for a change and left for the United States on July 13th.  The family that was running the SIM Botswana office left for New Zealand last week (more on that later).  As well my buddy Benji from Germany who was here serving Flying Mission for a 1 year term also left last week.  Luckily, there was an arrival last week that I was really looking forward to.  My boss, Richard Wheatley, returned from 3 months of furlough so some of my responsibility at work will be transferred back to him.  It’s also good to have someone to work with and not have to work alone all the time.

As I said earlier the family running SIM Botswana decided to move to New Zealand to be closer to family.  With this happening I had to find another way of handling my funds coming into the country (SIM Botswana was handling all that).  So what we decided to do is just put my support money directly into my Canadian bank account and I could access it here via a bank machine.  No problem right?  Well, what ended up happening is SIM South Africa had been involved somehow with how I was getting paid and there was some confusion about how much I’d received and how much I should be getting.  At one point it looked like I wasn’t going to receive anymore money while I was here!  Fortunately we were able to sort out the confusion and all is well on the financial front. 

Speaking of finances I was going to report back to you when I new more about my finances for next year.  Well, unfortunately I can’t report much at this time.  My cost estimate is still in process as FM (Flying Mission) is considering adjusting how much I should need and we are also in talks about raising money to purchase a car here next year (something FM said I need to do).  Once these two things are discussed and decisions are made I will report back to you more on my finances.  I will once again suggest to those who have been supporting me financially or even to those who may want to support me next year to begin praying and putting this decision before the Lord.  I was so blessed to have such a supportive team of people help with my finances this year and I praise God for how He has enabled this year to happen.  In Acts 20:35 we are told that it was Jesus himself who said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”  How much more blessed are you my supporters than myself!  May you be witnesses of this truth in your giving.
  
This week has been great so far!  I have been invited to a HIV/AIDS workshop put on by Samaritan’s Purse and a local organization called the Evangelical Fellowship of Botswana (EFB).  Churches from all over Botswana have been invited to this workshop and being a leader in my church I was invited to participate and learn more about how we can reach our communities with regards to the HIV/AIDS pandemic presently occurring in Botswana.  So far it’s been a very informative workshop and I’m looking forward to what the rest of the workshop has in store for all of us.  Today we had 25 people from the conference go for testing to set an example for everyone that people have nothing to fear because they will still be loved and accepted by the church.  There is a lot of stigma in Botswana toward people infected so to go for testing is a fearful thing.  It’s great to see that the church is wanting to be the leaders in the fight against AIDS in this country. 

The number one question people have been asking me as of late is, “When are you coming home?”  Well I finally have your answer!  Many of you are already aware that I will be returning in September.  I will officially be back in Canada on September 7th when I land in Toronto.  I will need to do some debriefing with SIM so I will be staying in Toronto for a few days.  I will then be flying to Edmonton on September 10th.  I will be flying on Westjet Flight Number 795 and arriving at 11:25am for those who wish to meet me at the airport.  As far as what I will be doing once I get home, its still in the planning phase.  I will definitely be visiting all the churches that have supported me this year so some of you can expect to see me in September or in October depending on where you live.  The plan right now is to return to Botswana at the end of October (depending on how support raising goes) so it will be a “short but sweet” homecoming.  I’m really looking forward to coming home and spending time with family and friends! 

Just before I close I have a few prayer requests:

1)  Pray for Botswana – I know many of you may not know much about Botswana but many of you know about HIV and AIDS.  Please pray that the people of this nation would turn to God and live lives that are pleasing to Him.

2)  Pray for my departure/arrival – Leaving Botswana will be tough but at the same time it’s a bitter sweet kind of event because it will be great being home.  Pray that I would “leave well” and that my time spent at home would be joyful as well as productive.

3)  Pray for upcoming support raising – Last year support raising was something I was totally not looking forward to doing and yet it turned out to be a great experience.  Pray that this year would be just as encouraging.

4)  Pray for The Flying Mission – There are a lot of things happening within the mission right now (too much to discuss at this point).  Pray that more people would come to help share the burden and that the management team would make godly decisions as to the direction of the mission.

Hey, I was able to say everything I wanted to say in less space this time!  For those who enjoy my “wordiness” I apologize.  For those who complain about my “novels” well, this month you get a treat.  Once again I want to take time for those of you who pray for me, support me financially, take time to write me, read my letters….there are so many ways that I have been encouraged by you and your thoughtfulness.  It may sound repetitive but I hope that in that you see the appreciation I am expressing.  Thank you so much! (or in Setswana, “Ke a leboga tata!”)  God bless you all!

Peace and prayers,

Graham Crawford <><

No comments:

Post a Comment