
“Namibimania!”
Hello again from the see-sawing between hot
and cold, Gaborone, Botswana! Well its
official, I don’t like winter in Botswana . Well, maybe it’s just my circumstances. Every morning I’ve been getting up and making
my way to the Flying Mission office on my beloved motorcycle I have
appropriately nicknamed “Mighty Mouse”.
It was fine for a while but now that it’s really starting to get cold
(nearing 0ºC) that 10-15 minute ride is beginning to be less and less
inviting. I know a lot of you will dub
me a “weather wimp” but going from 40ºC weather for about eight months
then to abruptly change to 0ºC was a bit of a shock to my system.
Luckily winter doesn’t seem to last very long here. From what I’ve been told after July it starts
warming up again. The crazy thing too is
that during the day it’s usually around 20ºC meaning you
never really adapt to the cold. It
reminds me a lot of the Rocky Mountains . Having had the experience of being a tree
planter in northern BC I can recall waking up to very chilly mornings in my
tent. But, just like here in Botswana by midday it would feel like summer
again. I guess the difference is I
wasn’t driving a motorcycle at 90km/h during those cold mornings! Oh, how I miss my car!
Hmmm…I always seem to start off talking
about the weather. Strange. Anyway, I imagine many of you are itching to
hear about my travels to the country of Namibia . Wow, what a cool adventure! Once again I’ll try and keep things short,
but you all know how I am.
On May 19th me and a fellow
short-termer from Germany
(Mario Kunze) travelled from Gaborone
to a place called Kasane in north eastern Botswana . It was a great ride, we had asphalt roads all
the way up. We did have a few moments of
adventure once it got dark though.
Kasane is located in the middle of a park called Chobe National
Park (named after the large river that runs
through it). Wild animals are very
abundant in this area making it very dangerous to travel at night (and making
us very foolish to be driving at night).
We had a close call with a giraffe that had decided that the middle of
the road was a good place to park. The
worst part of the trip was when we came upon a tree branch in the middle of our
lane. Mario was going a little too fast
and lost control of the car trying to dodge it.
Luckily there was no embankment and the thick sand on the side of the
road slowed us down before we could hit anything. The rest of the trip was relatively safe so
it was good to get the close calls out of the way early.
We stayed at Kasane for the night and left
for the country of Zimbabwe
(the country just east of Botswana )
the next morning. We had heard about
some beautiful falls in Zimbabwe
(Victoria Falls ) and wanted to check them
out. It definitely lived up to the
hype! It was beautiful! I think Niagra Falls
is bigger but these falls seemed to be a farther drop (about 100m I
believe). I especially liked that it was
less commercial than Niagra
Falls . There were very few people there with us and
civilization was nowhere to be seen.
When I went to Niagra
Falls and had to hack my
way through the thousands of people and the endless amounts of gift shops, it
was nice to just be able to go and enjoy nature without all the hustle and
bustle. It was an extremely wet
experience though. The mist that is
created from the falls is so heavy that’s its almost like its raining. Mario and I were both soaked to the bone
afterwards. After drying off we drove
back to Kasane and stayed there for the night.
The next day we visited a crocodile farm
just outside of Kasane. I’d never seen so many crocodiles in my life! They
had hundreds of them! The owner wasn’t
there so unfortunately we didn’t get much of a show. Apparently the owner plays with the
crocodiles when guests come. It was
still a fun experience though. In the
afternoon we booked a boat tour down the mighty Chobe River . It was so cool, we were the only ones on the
tour! We saw lots of hippos, elephants, giraffes,
crocodiles…it was crazy the amount of animals we saw. We got to watch the sunset from the boat
which was a good end to the day.
The next day we traveled to Maun, a village
located in north-central Botswana
and the only other Flying Mission base in Botswana . We stayed with some fellow Flying Mission
missionaries and picked up our only other travel companion, Christoph, who is
also a German short-termer with Flying Mission.
While in Maun we were able to take a game flight over the Okavango Delta
which is a very popular part of Botswana
because of its lush environment and density of wild animals.
We left Maun the morning of the 24th
and headed to a village close to the border of Botswana and Namibia called
Mohembo. Christoph new the owner of a
boarding school there so we stayed the night at the school. The school was more like a camp than
anything. There were a number of
ex-patriots from Europe there so we were able
to socialize with them in the evening.
The next morning we finally crossed into Namibia ! Our destination was Grootfontein, a smaller
town located in north eastern Namibia . During my time in Johannesburg last month I met a fellow SIM
missionary named Erin Kerber who works in Grootfontein. She invited us to stay with her while we were
travelling which was great. She took us
to a nice restaurant there and introduced us to some of her friends. It was a great first day in Namibia !
The next two days were spent in Etosha National
Park , located just northwest of
Grootfontein. This place was
incredible! Tons and tons of animals, no
fences, you are literally out in the wild.
They have these amazing “salt pans” as well which are incredible to see. Describing it sounds lame because of the
bareness of the environment, but it was really interesting to just be out in
the middle of nothing like that.
After Etosha we travelled to a place called
“The White Lady”. Some bushmen painted
some rock paintings there that are relatively famous so we decided to check it
out. The paintings were, as usual for Africa , in very bad shape. They were hard to make out and didn’t seem to
make much sense (horses with human legs, that kinda thing) but the hike was a
welcome change from sitting in a car all day.
We left for the Atlantic coast the morning
of the 29th. The city we
stayed in is called Swakopmund and is right along the coastline of the Atlantic . We
stayed in a great guest house right on the beach. It was good to see the ocean again. It reminded me a lot of my time living on Vancouver Island . The
first day we basically just checked out the town. Namibia used to be a German colony
so my travelling companions felt right at home.
They found a nice German restaurant for us to dine at. Being so close to the ocean I had to order fish. Translated into English the fish I ate was
called a “Stone Biter”. I had never
heard of it, but man, was it good! Once
again it reminded me of Vancouver Island and
all the fresh fish I ate during my time there.
The next day it was time to get rowdy! We rented some quads and took them out into
the sand dunes which are some of the largest in the world. It was great to be on a quad again, I haven’t
driven one for a long time so it was fun to ride one again. We also did some “Sand Boarding” which was
another familiar sport to me. The sand
is so fine that its just like tobogganing on snow. They give you a thin piece of wood with a
bunch of wax on one side then you lay down on your stomach facing head first
down the dune. As your life flashes before your eyes someone pushes you and you fly down to the bottom of the dune
going around 80km/h. Were talking super
fast tobogganing here! The only bad part
was climbing back up the dune. Have you
ever tried climbing a sand hill? It’s so
frustrating because you keep sinking! Its
a great workout though and a lot cheaper than buying a stair climbing machine.
After a fun couple of days in Swakopmund we
left for the capital of Namibia ,
Windhoek . Windhoek
is a very developed city and it was strange being back in “normal society”
again. With each of us being “city
slickers” we did what came natural when in a developed city, watch movies! The movie theatre was super
cheap so we watched 3 movies in two days!
I hadn’t seen the new Star Wars film yet so we watched that. We also watched Vin Diesels new movie (well
new to me) The Pacifier. We also watched
Bruce Willis’ new movie “Hostage” which was a great thriller. I thought some of you may find it humorous
that these are “brand new movies” here in Africa . I imagine some of these movies have been out
for months already. We also found a
really cheap mini-golf course which I really enjoy so we checked that out. I found out Germans don’t seem to excel at this
sport. I totally destroyed both of them! They didn’t even know how to hold the
club properly! Come to think of it I can’t think
of any German’s in the PGA so I guess it shouldn’t have seemed strange to me
that they wouldn’t know how to play golf.
We also had a chance to visit the church that the directors of Flying
Mission (John and Yvonne Lubbe) started about 10 years ago. It was cool to see the fruits of there labour
and how the church had developed over the years.
Well after Windhoek it was time to start heading home so
we drove back to Maun and dropped Christoph off, then headed back home to Gaborone . It was interesting arriving “home” in Gaborone . You don’t realize how you get accustomed to
your surroundings after a while. It was
a good feeling to feel at home in Botswana .
Well, after arriving back in Botswana it was
back to work. One of the latest
developments in my responsibilities here has been leading the youth at Open Baptist
Church . Some of you may remember me asking for prayer
about this. After prayerfully considering
it I decided to accept the position and do what I can to help develop the youth
group. I’m hoping I won’t get burned out
taking on this new task. I am happy to
help but I know that sometimes I get too involved in things and end up in over my
head. Please pray for me as I take on
this new responsibility and that leaders would rise up in the church to help me
take on the burden.
With that in mind, I have also been
officially accepted as a church leader at OBC (Open Baptist
Church ). This means that in the near future I will be
either an elder or a deacon in the church.
If you told me a year ago that I would be an elder in a church in Gaborone , Botswana
I would of told you that you should be institutionalized. What a responsibility! However, after discussing it with current
church leadership and with God it seems the right thing to do. So, I’m officially a leader now I’d say. No more fooling around, no more sitting in
the bleachers, its time to lead. And I’m
scared to death! I’m thinking that I’m
entering another moment in my life where I have no choice but to depend on
God. What safer place is there to
be? Time to hang on to God for all I’m
worth!
Ok, my last letter was kind of rushed
because I was preparing to go to Namibia so this time I’ve
remembered to put in my prayer requests.
I’m hoping that people didn’t think that I had no prayer requests that
month and stopped praying for me! Here
they are in no particular order:
1)
Pray for my responsibilities as the new youth leader at OBC. Pray that I will be able to budget my time
between FM and OBC well.
2)
Pray for my responsibilities as a church leader (elder or deacon, not
sure yet). I feel pretty inadequate in
this position and will need encouragement.
3) Pray
for my duties as acting IT Manager . Pray that I will fit into Richards spot well
while he is away.
4)
Pray for this country. The
currency here (The Pula) has depreciated recently. Pray for the effects this has on the people
(food prices have already begun to rise).
5)
Pray for a spiritual revival in this country. The national football team won an important
game yesterday so the streets were littered with people partying. What a joy it would be if the city would
rejoice like this in the churches! Pray
that these people will stop partying and start turning to God instead of
alcohol which is helping the rampant spread of HIV/AIDS.
Ok, I think that is it for now. Once again I want to close by saying how much
I’ve appreciated all your support. A
friend of mine (sorry to embarrass you Nicole) sent me a simple letter explaining
that she is praying for me. The fact
that someone would take the time to send me a letter just to let me know that
there praying for me was a huge encouragement.
So thank you Nicole, and thank you to the many others who have been
corresponding with me through snail mail and e-mail. One day I may actually send you a reply! Thanks again everyone, and God bless you.
Peace and prayers,
Graham Crawford <><
No comments:
Post a Comment