
Botswana Bulletin – Sixth Edition
“Decisions, Decisions”
March 5, 2005
Greetings from hot and sunny Gaborone , Botswana ! (yes its STILL hot and sunny here) Wow!
It’s hard to believe I’ve been in Botswana for almost 6 months
now. I know I’ve experienced a lot so
far, but it still seems like time is going quicker than I had expected. I’ll try to update you as best I can on what
has been happening this month without boring you. I’ve always been concerned that my letters
are too long, but I have appreciated the positive feedback I have been
receiving on how much people are enjoying my updates. I’ll admit it’s been tough at times to know
what to write considering the diversity of my audience. What are people expecting to hear? Can I live up to those expectations? After thinking and praying about it I decided
it would be best to just be myself instead of trying to write what I felt
peoples expectations were. After all,
most of you know me anyway and you all know I’m no Billy Graham when it comes
to writing. I actually had one person
write back to me and say, “You write like you talk!” I’ll take that as a compliment. :-)
On the last weekend in January I had the
opportunity to go to a fancy banquet with a family I know from my home church (Open Baptist
Church “G-West”). It was held at one of the finest hotels in Gaborone known as “The
Grand Palm” and was to have as a special guest the US ambassador to Botswana
(apparently a very big deal). It was
super fun! I had a chance to meet some
new people and practice my Setswana. Oh,
and the food was very western which was a nice treat for me. It was also nice to go out and do something
fancy. An opportunity I don’t get much
these days!
During the first weekend of February I was
able to give Open Baptist Church G-West (the church I’m attending) a hand in
installing some new sound equipment for the church. Things have really been going well at the
church and we were able to afford some new sound equipment and cables. This
allowed us to put the sound board at the back of the church instead of on the
stage where it used to be. The sound
person can now control the volume from the back of the church which is a
definite improvement. I helped by
installing the cabling in the ceiling and mounting some conduit to the wall to
cover the cables. Hopefully, this will improve the quality of
our worship services because the sound will be more balanced. I’ll talk more about OBC later.
My Setswana lessons have been going really
well, so thanks to you who have been praying about that. I get compliments all the time on how I am
improving. I’m definitely not fluent
yet, but I can tell the locals appreciate my efforts in speaking there
language. Sometimes strangers are amazed
that I can speak anything at all! Keep
praying for me regarding this as it is obviously helping out a lot in my
relationships with locals.
I attended an SIM meeting about the middle
of February which gave me a chance to meet some other SIM missionaries and hear
about the ministries they are involved in.
It was great to hear about the work SIM is pursuing in Botswana and by
the sounds of things SIM is very happy with the work its missionaries are doing
in the country. I’ve been really blessed
to have SIM as a sending mission. They
did a lot of behind the scenes stuff for me before I arrived here and are
keeping in good contact with me. It’s
good to know that someone is there to give you a hand when you need it. They even sent me a Christmas gift! (a
book)
Once again Open Baptist
Church “No Matata” (the
mother church to OBC G-West) requested my drumming skills for another Sunday
night worship service on the last weekend in February. It was great to get back together with the
same team I played with in December.
Unfortunately, we didn’t have as much time to practice as we did before
so things were a bit rushed. We only had
a week to rehearse 15 songs! Needless to
say we practiced like crazy the weekend of the service. We practiced most of the day Saturday, and
Sunday afternoon. By the time we had
finished the service Sunday night I was exhausted! However, the service went very well so it was
great that I could help out. I wish you
could see how crazy the people get when they worship here. They are so unashamed
of expressing themselves! The women
do this thing with there tongues that kind of sounds like a native Indian war
cry. Its like, “Lalalalalalalala!” It sounds awesome when they do it! They would clap after every song too which
was pretty funny. I’m not used to people
clapping when I play! :-) It was a privilege to be a part of such a
cool worship celebration. There is talk
that the next Sunday night service we do will be held at an outdoor
amphitheatre here in Gaborone . Please pray that this opportunity would
become a reality as it will be a great chance to make an impact in the
community.
Getting back to talking about OBC G-West,
they had a very important meeting today.
They invited about 20 people (myself included) from the church that they
considered “the core of the church”. In
the meeting we were all challenged to become members of the church and be
willing to volunteer for some leadership positions that are presently vacant (believe
it or not. being the senior pastor was one of the options!). Well, as it turns out someone nominated me
for a leadership position at the church (I hope its not to be the pastor!). I’m not sure exactly what position I was
signed up for but apparently one of the members of our leadership group will be
approaching me this week to talk about it.
Please pray for me as I’m not sure exactly what to do about this. My workload with Flying Mission has increased
as well as other activities I have become a part of so free time is becoming
harder to come by (thus explaining why my letter is late this month). I don’t want to stretch myself too thin so I
would appreciate your prayers. Oh, and
for those who may be wondering I did decide to become a member of the
church. I’m already a member of a church
back in Canada
but apparently I can be given a “dual membership” which allows me to be a
member of 2 churches at the same time.
I’ve really enjoyed the services and serving on the worship team so I
found no reason not to become a member.
Another big meeting happened a few days ago
with me, my supervisor Richard Wheatley, and the director of Flying Mission,
John Lubbe. I had asked Richard earlier
this month if it were possible that my time with the Flying Mission could be
extended after my contract ends in September.
I have really enjoyed my time here and thought that maybe it would be
possible to stay longer if Flying Mission would have me. After discussing it with Richard we decided
to bring it before the “big boss”, John Lubbe.
So after talking and discussing my performance thus far, Flying Mission
decided to formally invite me to extend my contract for another year (until September
2006). Now obviously this has to be
discussed with my sending mission SIM first, but I thought it would be good to
inform you of the possibility considering that it would affect you as
well. I will still be returning to Canada this
September but for how long…well, it depends how things work out. I would really appreciate your prayer on this
matter as it is a huge decision to make.
I wasn’t sure exactly what God had in mind when he called me to Botswana but it
is becoming clear to me that it is for a purpose. May God guide as he so faithfully has in the
past.
One last thing I’d like to inform you of is
an answer to prayer. I have been asking
you to pray that my drivers license would arrive in the country and well…its
here! My mother was able to send the
replacement to one of our Flying Mission pilots who was on furlough in
Abbotsford and he landed here last night with it. What a relief! Thank you so much for your prayers as this
will definitely help make things a little easier.
Ok, well I guess that’s it for now. Here is a reminder of my prayer requests for this
month:
1) Setswana Lessons – I’m improving but
still have a lot to learn. Pray that I
would pick the language up quickly to help improve my relationships with the
local people here.
2) Amphitheatre
Worship Night – pray that this opportunity would become a reality as it will
be a great chance for the church to reach people in the community
3) Leadership
position – OBC G-West has nominated me for a leadership position. Pray for wisdom in responding to it, whatever
it may be.
4) Mission
extension – Pray that I would be able to make a decision on this huge
opportunity.
Thank you again for the wonderful support
team you have been to me. I honestly
would not be here without your help. Ke
a leboga tata! (Thank you very much!)
Peace and prayers,
Graham Crawford <><
No comments:
Post a Comment