Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Botswana Bulletin – Special Edition


Botswana Bulletin – Special Edition
“Back in Botswana…With a Bang!”                                                

October 31, 2007

Greetings one and all from a wet and rainy Gaborone, Botswana!  Praise God for the rain!  My friends here have been telling me how dry it has been this year so the rain has been a welcome relief for dry crops and the water dams.  For those who have been praying for rain in Botswana, thank you and keep up the good work!  J

For those who have been reading my bulletins on a regular basis this letter may come as a bit of a surprise.  I usually don’t write twice in one month but I thought that after today’s events I should fill you all in on what’s happened.  Some of you are aware that I recently purchased a new car.  Well, I shouldn’t say “new” it’s a 96 model Nissan called a Sunny.  Yah I know, I never heard of one either before coming to Botswana.  Anyway, I bought it about a week ago and on Monday I went to the dealer to pick it up.  I drove it from the dealers to the Flying Mission office and kept it there until I could get the insurance for it sorted out. 

I was so happy that God had provided me with this great car!  It drove like it was brand new!  It was in excellent shape and only had 11,000 kms on it!  I ended up paying about $4300 Canadian dollars (26,000 Pula) for it which I thought was a great deal.  Things couldn’t have worked out better.

On Tuesday I headed to the insurance company to get the car insured.  Well, I found out that insurance companies here now require a “valuation” done on all import vehicles (basically someone has to inspect the car and assess its value).  Since my car was imported from Japan I needed a valuation done by an approved claim office.  In order to get this done I needed to drive the car to the claims office and get it inspected.  Ok, no big deal I thought.  I’ll take my car over there first thing the next day. 

This morning I got in my new car and began driving it to the claims office.  Now, bear in mind that as I’m driving it there is NO INSURANCE on the car.  Well, as luck would have it about 30 FEET from the Claims Office I needed to make a right hand turn (we drive on the left here so this requires crossing oncoming traffic).  As I went to make the right hand turn a combi (a public transport van) ran through his stop sign and cut me off which stopped me in the middle of the road.  After letting the combi by I proceeded to make my turn then….BANG!  An oncoming Toyota Corolla plowed into my bumper at high speed.  Sigh.  It took a good 30 seconds for me to believe what had just happened.  I got out of the car and immediately began getting an earful from the driver in the other car.  I just leaned on my car with my head in my arms.  I didn’t know what to say.  I wanted to blame the combi driver for distracting me and possibly the other driver who hit me but the truth of the matter is by stopping in the middle of the road I was blocking oncoming traffic.  I knew I would get the blame for this one.

After gathering myself, I spoke to the driver of the other car and had him call the police.  I also found out that he was driving a company vehicle (some company called Afrox) and had insurance.  Within a few minutes 2 Afrox employess who I believe were white South Africans arrived on the scene and started taking pictures and asking a lot of questions.  They pushed a form in from of me and told me to give them all my details (phone number, registration number, etc).  Apparently it was company policy to fill out these forms.  After dealing with Afrox I got a call from my boss Richard Wheatley.  He spotted me as he passed by on a nearby road and asked if I was ok.  I told him what had happened so he said he would let the Flying Mission office know and send some help.  A few people from the office arrived to console me and help out where they could.  The police had arrived and started assessing what had happened.  They told us we needed to come to the police station to give our statements.  Once the accident had occurred I was immediately bombarded by tow truck drivers and body shop workers who all wanted to either fix my car or tow it somewhere to be fixed.  I ended up taking one of the tow truck drivers offer to haul my vehicle to the police station.  He charged me a whopping $75 Canadian (450 Pula)!  Disgusted, I accepted his offer and we headed to the police station to give our statements.

The police station was, as I suspected it would be, a gong show.  After waiting in line we finally had our chance to give our statements.  One of my local friends here, Bella, came to the police station with me in case I needed a translator.  After I started writing my statement Bella had realized that the police officer was writing the statement for the man driving the other car.  When she asked why the police officer was doing this the officer replied that the driver of the other car couldn’t write!  The interesting part about this was the man was saying nothing to the police officer.  The cop seemed to know just what to write.  I began wondering if the cop had been bribed by this man.  Who knows.  Anyway, I filled out my statement and handed it to the police officer.  He in turn handed me a traffic offense stating that I had been driving without due care and attention.  He asked me to sign it and I refused.  I tried to explain that the reason the accident happened wasn’t simply because I turned in front of a moving car, it happened because a combi blew through a stop sign which distracted me, and because the driver of the other car was speeding and was unable to avoid me.  I felt that some fault should lie on the other driver.  Apparently this requires proof, such as a speedometer reading at the time of the crash proving that the guy was speeding.  The driver of the other car refused to admit he was speeding and claimed that I cut him off.  The police officer told me if you block oncoming traffic in Botswana you are immediately at fault.  I kinda had to agree with him simply because if you do that in Canada, odds are your gonna be the guilty one as well.  The thing that was getting to me is I know the other driver was driving recklessly.  I simply had no proof.  So I signed the form and paid a fine of about $30 Canadian (200 Pula).  After that we went to another office to collect a police report but we were told it wouldn’t be finished until November 8th.  Oh, and they wanted $3.50 Canadian (21 Pula) to do it.  Good grief!  I’m surprised I’m aloud to breath for free!

Signing that admission of guilt form had made me a little uneasy.  It is bad enough that I had an accident in a car with no insurance, what if the insurance company for the other vehicle decides that the accident was my fault and I have to pay to fix the other car.  Then I’d have 2 cars to pay for!  I felt my already bad day get just a little bit worse.

So with that my time at the police station was over.  It was time to get back to normal life.  But what now?  Well, a fellow Flying Mission co-worker, Larry Murley, had come to the police station to pick me up and had an excellent idea on how to proceed.  Larry suggested, “Can I pray for you?”  Absolutely!  So right there in front of the police station Larry prayed that even though this was a terrible thing that God would be glorified in and through it.  So what should we do in times like these?  Look at the big picture.  God is still on the throne.  Who knows what he can make out of this mess?

So after praying and getting some perspective it was time to make a few phone calls.  I called a trusted mechanic to see if he could assess the cost of repairing the vehicle.  My guess is it will probably cost about $2000 Canadian to repair (about 12,000 Pula).  I’m hoping to hear back from the mechanic tomorrow to hear his assessment.  I also called the insurance company in hopes that MAYBE they would be able to do something to help.  I didn’t even think of doing this at first but a Flying Mission colleague thought it may be worth a try.  I’ll tell yah, I was pleasantly surprised.  I explained to the insurance company that I had every intention to take out a policy but required a valuation be done on the car.  Since I needed to get the car to the claim office to get the insurance I needed to drive it without insurance.  I explained that had they not required the valuation I would have bought insurance on the spot and would have never needed to drive the car without insurance.  Did that make sense?  Basically none of this would have happened if I didn’t need to take the car to another place to have the value assessed.  The man from the insurance company explained that I should write a letter explaining what has happened and that he would see if anything could be done to help me.  That was more than I expected.  I also found out that the man I phoned is a Christian.  I also found out that a friend of mine knows another employee at the same company who is a Christian.  I’m hoping that maybe these Christian guys will take pity on me and help a brother out!  I’d be willing to pay a deductible if they would pay for my repairs!  J 

Anyway, that’s pretty much the whole story up to this point.  All that awaits now is a conclusion.  I’m asking that you pray that this would be resolved in a manner that shows God’s glory.  A car is just a car.  Money is just money.  The fact is I don’t have much of either at this point so I’m trusting that God will provide, as he always has.  I’ll keep you updated on how things progress as information becomes available.

OK, to keep with tradition I’ll do a breakdown of the items I’m asking you to pray over:

1)     A good resolution to the problem of replacing/fixing my smashed car – Pray specifically that God would be glorified in and through this
2)     That the other drivers insurance company would be merciful and not ask that I pay for the repairs on the other vehicle
3)     For continued safety on the road.  The roads here are extremely dangerous and accidents are common.  Pray that God would keep me safe.
4)     Pray for rain.  Pray that rain would continue to fall here in Botswana.  The farmers really need it!

A verse was given to me by a fellow Flying Mission co-worker to encourage me.  It was Phillipians 4:6,7.

“Don’t be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”

Praise God for the peace he gives to us in times of strife!  Blessed be His name!

Peace and prayers,

Graham Crawford <><

PS> I’ve attached some pictures of the car so you can see what happened.




No comments:

Post a Comment