
“A Missionary Life For Me”
April 23, 2007
Greetings one and all from a very spring
like Edmonton , Alberta , Canada ! Wow, it’s been too long since I’ve written to
you all. I sincerely apologize for
that. As you all can imagine things have
been happening and time has not been standing still. In fact, I was looking at my calendar
yesterday and I couldn’t believe I’ve been home almost 5 months now! Well, fortunately I believe my time here in Canada has been
well spent. I’ve had time with family,
with friends, and time to reflect on how God is leading me in my life. I’ll explain this more as we continue.
When I last wrote you I believe it was
early February and I was starting my new job with Enbridge Pipelines. Most of the month of February was simply
spent working but I did have a chance at the end of the month to go to
Missionfest. Missionfest, for those who
may recall my previous letter, is a large conference here in Edmonton where you
have a chance to connect with tons of mission organizations and get more info
on what they are all about and how you can partner with them. Since I’ve been looking at other
possibilities this seemed like the perfect venue to exhaust the idea of going
to Botswana
with another mission organization. So,
off to Missionfest I went.
Missionfest ran for three days over the
weekend and I was there every day. I
can’t remember exactly how many people I spoke to or exactly how many
organizations I visited but it’s safe to say it was a lot. AIM, MAF, SIM, OMF, name an acronym and I
visited them. I was even able to help
Jim and Vegas Dargatz at the SIM booth.
I was glad to be able to reconnect with my area directors and meet a few
new faces from the SIM family. Anyhow, after
talking with organizations for three straight days the fog on this whole idea
of going with another organization began to lift. I was so encouraged by what people had to say
about SIM. It was great to hear the
reputation SIM had among its peers. I
have always been told how good of an organization SIM is but that had mostly
come from fellow SIMers so it was good to hear the same thing from “the
competition”.
Just to backtrack a bit I should mention
that before Missionfest I spoke with pastors at both Fort
Saskatchewan Alliance
Church (my home church here in Canada ) and Parksville
Fellowship Baptist
Church (the church I interned at after
Bible School ).
The whole reason for approaching these churches was to see if I could
bypass the whole mission organization route and have a church as my
administrative base. The first person I
spoke with was Pastor Daniel Harstad of Fort Saskatchewan Alliance. He seemed to think the idea was possible but
admitted that it was a big task for the church to take on. He also felt that SIM would do a far better
job at meeting a missionaries need while on the field. After a few elders meetings discussing the
idea, it was decided that the church would not be my administrative base but
would continue to support me as it always has through prayer and finances. So with that door closed I spoke with Pastor
Jerrold Paetkau of Parksville Fellowship Baptist. Pastor Jerrold’s advice was similar to Pastor
Dan’s in that he felt the mission organization route was a better route to go
as far as support on the field. However,
he was willing to speak with the church leadership about the possibility of
taking me on. I didn’t want to proceed
with this until after Missionfest so this was kind of left on hold.
So, back to Missionfest. As Missionfest began to wind down I felt a
real confirmation from God that SIM was a good place to be. As I’ve said all along to people I have been
very pleased with the way SIM has treated me and made me feel part of the
team. We’ve had some misunderstandings
with finances once in a while but with the changes in the SIM finance office it
was easy to see why things got a little hairy.
So after months of prayer and investigation and three straight days of
talking with mission organizations I decided to apply for full-time work with
SIM. That feeling of peace that “passes
all understanding” (Philippians 4:7) fell upon me and I knew I had made the
right decision. I spoke with both Pastor
Dan and Pastor Jerrold again and they both felt the decision I made was a good
one. Pastoral confirmation of a major
life decision is always a good thing to have as far as I’m concerned! So, there you have it. Important life decision…decided!
So as I waited for my forms to arrive from
SIM, the month of March arrived. Once
again most of March was filled with working at Enbridge, but I was able to get
away and visit the church I grew up in, Fort McMurray Fellowship
Baptist Church . My parents joined me on the trip up to Fort McMurray so that
made the time there extra special.
I was able to meet the new pastor there, Pastor Brent Carter, and even
had lunch with him and his wife. I had a
chance to share during the services how God had been working in my life while
in Botswana and then to
share with them the decision to return to Botswana full-time. As I thanked the church one thing stuck out
to me as I looked out upon the congregation.
I saw in the crowd my Sunday school teacher, my youth leader, the people
who helped raise me to be the man I am today and I realized something. This journey into life as a missionary didn’t
start just a few years ago when I applied with SIM, it started years ago in the
very church I was standing in. The
people I was looking out upon had given of their time and energy to ensure that
as a child I knew who God was and how important a person Jesus was in my
life. They showed me how to have a
relationship with God and how to walk in Jesus’ footsteps. Without there sacrifice, I’m sure I would have never gone to Africa as a
missionary. Thank you Fellowship Baptist
Church for “training a
child in the way he should go.” (Proverbs 22:6)
My SIM paperwork arrived in early March and
I began to go through them. I decided to
leave a portion of it until after I was finished working. This portion is what is known as a “Doctrinal
Assessment”. As its name suggests this
is more of an “assessment” than a right or wrong test of knowledge. Basically it’s like an essay that will help
SIM assess my theological understanding and belief system. Since I haven’t opened the package and looked
at it yet I can’t tell you exactly what it is.
SIM gives a one month period to finish the assessment so I didn’t want
to open it until I knew I had sufficient time to spend on it. At present that is what I will be spending my
time finishing.
I have one last update I'd like to share with you before I go. During the
month of April I was able to visit Parksville
Fellowship Baptist
Church on Vancouver
Island . This was another
special trip as I was accompanied by my parents and my brother. My parents had never been to Vancouver Island so it was great being able to show them
the church I interned at and introduce them to some of the people I met
there. As usual, time was too short to
visit with everyone but I was encouraged by the people I did see. Thank you PFBC all for your support and
prayers over the years! A special thanks
goes out to Mike and Sheila Bates who hosted me during my time there. It was definitely a full house but their hospitality was more than adequate.
Thank you again for making me fell like a part of your family.
As a side note I was able to do something
quite unexpected during my time in Parksville.
The Bates daughter “Dilly” spoke to her teacher and I was given
permission to go to her public elementary school and give a small presentation on
my time in Botswana . Since these kids were only in grade 3 I
decided to skip talking about the culture and problems (HIV/AIDS) of Botswana and
went straight to…the animals! I did show
them the powerpoint presentation I had made for my church visits so they did
get to see pictures of the Flying Mission and the local church I attend but
they definitely liked the animals the best.
This became evident when Dilly brought home 23 thank you cards from
school. A quote from one written by
Teigan,”Thank you Graham for coming. I
enjoyed it so much. I liked the pictures
of the animals the best.” The cards were
decorated with Botswana
flags, animals, Victoria Falls , I was really
impressed. So thank you back Nanoose Bay Primary School for allowing me to come and show you a
little of what Africa is like. A special thanks to Virginia Brucker, Dilly’s
teacher, for having the guts to allow a Christian Missionary into a secular
classroom, definitely a rare pleasure these days
Ok, so hopefully that catches you up on
what’s happening with me. Just to make a
clarification, since I am not officially a member of SIM I will not be
receiving funding until the application process is complete. I’m thinking this won’t happen until
June. Once I am a full member of SIM I
will let you all know and then for those who would like to support me can feel
free to do so. Until then I am still
adding people to my prayer team and prayer letter e-mail list. If you would like to either pray for me or be
on my e-mail list please let me know via my e-mail. I appreciate all those who have continued to
support me in prayer while I’ve been back in Canada . God has been faithful and has been guiding me each step of the way.
For those who maybe wondering if I have a
return date yet there is a rough one in place.
The IT Manager for the Flying Mission (Richard Wheatley) is planning to
leave for furlough in mid September.
With this in mind it would be ideal if I could arrive a few weeks before
he goes for a bit of a transition period and then cover for him while he’s
gone. This would make the end of August
the ideal time of departure. Now because
we don’t live in an ideal world this could be subject for change but ideally
the end of August would be the desired time of departure. Let’s pray that this departure date would
become a reality.
Speaking of prayer I have a few prayer
requests to give you before I go. Thank
you once again for the ways you have blessed me the past few years with your
prayers. I couldn’t ask for a more
supportive group of people. Thank you,
thank you, thank you! I just can’t say
it enough. Anyway, on to the prayer
requests:
1)
Doctrinal Assessment – Pray that I would finish this large task in a short
amount of time. Also pray that this
process would be a time of spiritual growth.
2)
Departure Date – Pray that everything would come together and that I
would be able to leave for Botswana
by the end of August.
3)
Patience – Pray that I would be patient during the whole process of
being accepted with SIM and that I would understand that God’s timing, not my
own, is the most important.
4)
Passport Renewal – I realized that my passport will expire during my
time in Botswana
so I will have to renew it before I leave.
Since the United
States is now requiring Canadians to show
passports at its borders a ton of requests for passports has flooded into
Canada Customs. This has resulted in
extremely long waits for passports. Pray
that my passport would be renewed in time for my anticipated departure in
August.
Once again I apologize for the lack of
correspondence during the past 2 months or so.
I guess for those who had fell behind in the reading of these letters it
gave you some time to catch up. J So, until next time!
Tsala sentle! (Stay Well)
Graham Crawford <><
No comments:
Post a Comment